Does the Calif Assembly Bill No. 5 affect online legal transcriptionists who reside in CA? I was shocked that I can no longer do this work.?

What's this Bill got to do with me? I was happily doing this from home for 1 year, all of a sudden a few days ago, without any notice, the agency closed my typing account because of this Bill. I was shocked. That was income that paid my household bills. Can someone shed light on this please? I'm very low income. I can just about pay my rent. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

• 5 days ago

The bill does not prohibit you from doing the work.

What it says is that the agency has to treat the workers as employees and not as independent contractors. The reason that the agency closed your account is because they don't want to the taxes, insurance, etc., that employers are required to pay for all employees, not just online transcribers.

• 5 days ago

Ye it would. It would effectively require them to classify you as an employee, and thus cost them far more to have you in their employ as opposed to now, when they surely classify you as a contractor.

• 5 days ago

Complain to your State Senators and Representatives.

The law makes it the hiring entities responsibility to provide proof that you are an independent contractor (if requested).  Your agency didn't want to be bothered and shut down.

When you vote, take this into consideration. 

the dems are about reduction of freedom