promotion image of download ymail app
Anonymous asked in Politics & GovernmentImmigration · 1 month ago

If a person has a certificate of registration as a British citizen, but they don't have a British passport, can they fly into the UK?

Can they fly into the UK on a foreign passport and then just stay in the UK forever? Would that be legal?

Should they come in like that as a tourist or is it better for them to just be honest at border control and tell the staff there that they still don't have their British passport?

If they are honest and they tell the staff that, is there a chance that the staff at border control could refuse them entry into the UK?


After all, a certificate of registration as a British citizen is proof that a person is a British Citizen.

7 Answers

  • 1 month ago

    They would need to enter the UK on their British passport (ie would need to apply for one)

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    You need your UK passport. If you are outside UK, take your proof of UK citizenship to the nearest British consulate & apply for a passport. If you enter UK on some other country's passport, you must meet visa requirements & are subject to restrictions for tourists.

    If you are a genuine UK citizen, you hold a UK passport. The consulate will verify whether that "certificate" is genuine or not, whether there are any restrictions on your ability to obtain a passport, etc, before they issue you one.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    I don't know what the UK does, but when an American citizen enters the USA using their foreign passport and tells the Immigration Officer they are actually a US citizen they get detained. They are released once their US citizenship is verified and warned to get a US passport.

    If you enter the UK using a foreign passport and don't say anything about being a British citizen then what you need to do is get a British passport after you are in the UK.  Then exit the UK using the foreign passport - you need to do it within the time limit - and return using the British passport. 

    You can take a ferry or the train to the continent and return the same day, but you need to do it.  Otherwise, British Immigration will eventually consider you to be an overstayer and tag your foreign passport for an immigration violation. That can negatively affect your ability to use the foreign passport, so don't overstay.   

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Maxi
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    If they enter the UK on a foreign passport they are NOT a British citizen and not treated as one....... to arrive in the UK and remain they have to enter the country on a British passport

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 month ago

    Boarding a plane  is just boarding a plane.

    Most International passengers are required to show a Passport to board the plane.

    This is an Agreement of International Airlines in order to reduce their costs in hauling back passengers with insufficient means to enter the destination country.

    When you arrive at some point of entry the passport/immigration official decides if you continue on , need some extra checks or just go back where your flight just came from. The documentation you supply can be the best available or just tattered scraps you salvaged from the wreckage.

    OBVIOUSLY the better your documentation the easier you make it for the official of concern to make a decision in your favour.

    It is not MANDATORY to possess a British Passport it is a really good idea to have one. It makes the process much easier.

    All British citizens automatically have right of abode in the UK.

    The issue is for you to prove the document is yours. A passport is really good identification that assists.

    You can prove you have right of abode if you have a UK passport describing you as a British citizen or British subject with right of abode. THE EASY WAY.

    Otherwise you need to apply for a ‘certificate of entitlement’.

    You can apply for a certificate of entitlement to prove you have right of abode in the UK. IT GOES IN YOUR PASSPORT,

    Coming for a visit is VISITING . Planing to move in and stay is a little different.

    You make things difficult for yourself when you deliberately enter the UK with other passport as you are expected at some point to return back where you came from.

    The passport used for the plane ride is the passport used for the plane ride.

    WHY WHY are you trying so hard to complicate what can be a simple thing?

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 1 month ago

    Better to be honest from the outset, otherwise you will become very familiar with the word "repatriation"

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Lisa A
    Lv 7
    1 month ago

    To be granted entry, you must prove that you are a UK citizen. In other words, you have to show your passport. If you enter as a tourist, on another country's passport, you can only stay for a short time.

    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.