Can you recommend me a good HBO TV Series?

I am watching Boardwalk Empire right now and I love it.

I wrote down some I googled from HBO:

Vice Principals

My Brilliant Friend

The Outsider

Chernobyl

Westworld

High Maintenance

Game of Thrones

The Young Pope

Sharp Objects

The Deuce

The Wire

The Sopranos

Any other suggestions?

Several of those are good. 

I'd recommend Chernobyl.  It's a very good historical drama about the 1980s Soviet nuclear disaster. 

Westworld is also good, although I think the second season slips a bit.  It's a remake of the campy 1970s movie by Michael Crichton.  It's set in a futuristic amusement park where they use lifelike robots to simulate an old west milieu for guests.  In the first season we follow a couple of employees, guests, and robots, as the robots begin to become sentient and stray from their programming. The first season has a great sense of mystery to it as we and the characters try to figure out what's going on. 

Game of Thrones is also good, but requires more of a time commitment than the first two.  I also think that most people agree that it slips a little in the later seasons, with the final season coming in for particular scorn due to how it handled some of the characters.  It's set in the fictional Medieval world of Westeros and deals with the political and military conflict between several great families.  It's distinguished from other high fantasy such as Lord of the Rings by the almost complete lack of magic or fantasy creatures (at least early on) and by it's very dark and cynical take on Medieval fantasy society. 

The Wire is also an excellent show, and I think holds up well, despite being a bit old at this point.  It's set in inner city Baltimore, and the first season deals with a special police detail set up to investigate a drug distribution gang which has committed several murders.  It was really distinctive at the time for it's long form storytelling and slow plot development (the first arrest doesn't happen until halfway through the first season).  Now that's a bit less distinctive, but the show still stands out for its social commentary, particularly in the later seasons, as it explores the urban decay of Baltimore. 

To your list I'd also add Watchmen.  It's a sequel to the legendary comic miniseries of the 1980s, which took a darker vision of superheroes in an alternate history US.  The series is set in the present day 30 years after the comics, with the main character being an African American police officer in Tulsa Oklahoma.  It's an excellent show with some powerful commentary on race and politics in America. 

Another excellent show I'd recommend is The Leftovers.  It's an amazing series set in a world where 2% of the Earth's population vanished into thin air in a Rapture-like event (but one which is explictly not the Christian Rapture).  It's set a few years after the Great Departure, and centers on a family in small town New York trying to deal with the emotional fallout.

I really liked "Carnivale." That was a good one.

I like BE, but we don't have HBO anymore. It's not offered.

Watchmen. It's quite good.

Chernobyl is really good.  And I recently watched The Righteous Gemstones and loved it.  It does require a dark sense of humor, though.

Edit - and the person above me is right - Watchmen is good.  It really helps to have read the comics, though (not the movie, which butchered the ending) to completely understand it.

• Gonzo

thanks