sean asked in Computers & InternetSecurity · 2 months ago

Malware question ?

I think I may of downloaded a video with malware....if I delete that video does the malware still exist on my phone?(android)

Favorite Answer

It probably wasn't malware. A video file can only infect a device if it contains an exploit that uses a vulnerability in the device or video player. Stagefright was such a vulnerability but was patched many years ago. If your device is newer and up to date, it's very unlikely it was infected. There are currently no known video vulnerabilities for Android.

Why do you think you got infected? What are the symptoms? 

Android is terrible.

• C

The video was just a vehicle.  If you downloaded malware the hitchhiker got off when you opened the file.  You need to run a scan, preferable more than one.

• Gary

Malware will stay on a device until it is removed, regardless of if the source is deleted. However, removing the video would be a good first step as it can help prevent the video from giving you more malware and (possibly) the provider from having access to your device, if that was the intent.

"may of" makes no sense