Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 5 days ago

Mice issue ?

Hi,

We had just signed a lease for a single family home today and found out that it’s infested with mice. The landlord had some traps out but is there anything else that can be done to get rid of them? I’ve never dealt with mice before and I think it may have something to do with the previous tenants leaving behind old food in the kitchen.

14 Answers

Relevance
  • 4 days ago

You had opportunity to inspect the dwelling before signing a lease and moving in, which gave you the opportunity to see and observe the rodent infestation.  Did you?  If not why not?

If you did why did you sign the lease without resolving the problem or looking elsewhere?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 days ago

One effective way to get rid of mice is to get a cat. Cats will kill mice.

• 5 days ago

Call a professional exterminator. They are the only ones who will be able to find all the nests, the holes and openings where they are getting in, and be able to advise you on how to plug those holes and keep them out of your house. Mice are not a huge problem--but it's not only food that attracts them. Warmth and dry nest areas, and plenty of nesting material available will also pull them into your home. You need to make sure your home has no access points, or as few as possible. Traps aren't a good solution for an infestation--you need to do more. Anyone can get mice, even without obvious food sources available. Once the problem is taken care of, sprinkling red-pepper flakes or cayenne at any points where you have seen them does a decent job of repelling them. Also make sure you leave no "soft" materials--such as blankets, paper, pillows, or anything that can be chewed and shredded around loose. Store all your linens in plastic containers. Toss out any old paperwork you no longer need. Mice will even eat artificial flowers!  Scrub areas where you have seen droppings and urine with a bleach/detergent solution. Buy a spray mouse repellant, available at hardware stores--and use the pepper. And, of course, don't leave food sit out or even store it somewhere easy to get to. Mice climb walls without any problems. And they love pet foods as well as human food. 

• 5 days ago

Your landlord must have an IQ of about 50.  Traps only trap the mice already in the house.  Why on earth would he not seal the hole(s) where they are getting in?  I pity you.  See if you can talk some common sense and logic into his thick head.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 5 days ago

I suggest poisoning them, with the green poison (not the brown one - it doesn't work). If you have pets or even little kids I'm not sure this is a good idea, but if not, then poison away. Just put the poison everywhere the mice roam out of sight. Stick it into any holes in the wood, in the basement, whatever. Secondly, figure out how they are getting into the house - and there is a way, probably one of more decent sized holes. Then close those off. Get all the places they go and plus all the holes and they'll be gone within a week.

• Anonymous
    5 days ago

Tell your landlord.

But some d-Con mice bait pellets they really do work.

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    5 days ago

just tell them you cant move in there with the mice around

• 5 days ago

LL is obligated to provide pest control. Ask for it.

• 5 days ago

Yes, you can bake the mice into pies and sell them to people.

• 5 days ago

RIGHT OF REVERSE YOUR LEASE

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.