Does Graduating College give you a degree of some sort?

I've never done college before and I'm looking to start with either 2d or 3d animation. Apparently graduation requires 30 credits. The path i'm choosing though might not be entirely conventional though. The total ammount of classes i want to take, with all of their pre-requisites included, matches 30 credits exactly.

Do I get a degree in something if I graduate with these 30 credits? They're all art based classes, so I'm not taking any math or english or anything like that, only what's necessary to my goal. I'm not necessarily looking for a degree, just to get the training in the field I like.

I've included the roadmap i've made of all the necessary classes and their pre-reqs I need. GRC-375 is the 3d animation  course, which leaves me at 24 credits, but If I branch out and do the 2D animation course at GRC 356, that gets me up to 30. (possibly 33, if GRC 280 is necessary. It's listed as a pre-req for GRC 356, but no information is available on the website. Either way, 30 credits meets graduating standards.)TLDR; If I 'graduate' with all the credits from these classes, will I get a degree of some sort? Or does a degree require specific credits in specific areas, such as math and english as well?

• 1 week ago

For a bachelor's degree from a university, expect to need 120-128 credit hours, including fulfilling all general education coursework, and sufficient hours in your major field of study. If this program is offered by other than an accredited 4-year university, no degree. You might get some sort of "certificate" of varying reputation among prospective employers.

• 1 week ago

What "college" is this? It should spell out its degree programs and how many credits are required to graduate with various degrees.

In my experience, an associate's degree (the lowest post-secondary degree) will require at least 60 credits (approximately 20 three-credit classes). So a ten-class, 30-credit course might be a certificate, not a degree. Certificates are typically geared to students that already have a degree of some sort (bachelor's or associate's) but want to expand their knowledge and employability by learning a new field. Students without a degree or some sort (bachelor's or associate's) usually don't go for a certificate, but for an associate's degree in the subject, to be more employable. 

For example, if I wanted to become a paralegal: if I had a bachelor's degree in Criminal Justice, I would attend a paralegal certificate program; but if I had no degree, I would attend an Associate's degree program for paralegal studies. 

But anyway, without knowing what school you're talking about, we can't tell you what degree you will receive (or not); ask this question to the school. And as others said, beware of for-profit institutions and make sure the school is regionally accredited by one of the regional accrediting agencies in the U.S. (Council of Regional Accrediting Commissions). 

• drip
    1 week ago

No, no degree.  This may give you a certification.  

An Associate degree takes 60 credits to earn. And of specific classes. 

If this is a community college get a meeting with admissions and they can give you all the info you need.  

Be wary of any for profit schools.

1 week ago

i think it can do that

• Expat
    1 week ago

Like the other answer states, you need to check what kind of college it is to determine the degree, but from my experience as a university professor for the last 20+ years it appears to be a community or junior college based on the number of courses needed to complete the degree unless there are a number of other elective courses not mentioned. An associate’s degree can sometimes be more marketable in the workplace than a 4 year bachelor’s degree, but it really takes doing some research to find out. I know that programs for being different types of medical technicians (ex ray, ultra sound, dental tech, nurses’ aid, etc) can lead to immediate $30,000+ salary jobs after finishing, but I don’t know anything about animation. Associate degrees can be counted toward bachelor’s degrees by transferring into a university after graduation to complete the remaining 2 years. This is a great option for many people, as community colleges and junior colleges are less expensive, have smaller class sizes and provide a better environment for students who may require more help or attention from their teachers in the beginning. By the time you finish the associates degree, you’re more than capable of managing the final 2 years. So look into the program more, especially look into what kinds of jobs can the degree get you and how many of those jobs exist. In this day and age you want to play your cards so that you have the best chance for success and a career that will give you financial independence and freedom, and not just be another person with a degree working at Starbucks. 

• Brian
    1 week ago

You need to check with whatever guidance counselor this college has, and whether this is a trade school, community college, or whatnot. A CC will grant you an "associate's degree", whether or not that's useful to you just depends. It will in no way be a four year or bachelor's degree.