promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

Can you hunt a deer with a 100lb crossbow with 10 inch bolts?

Out to 40 yards? It only has 2 inches of drop at that range.

7 Answers

Relevance
  • Robin
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

no i cant as in this area hunting with a low is not legal

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

As long as you have to hunt it in a minefield blindfolded, and the deer's horn are daubed in deadly poison and it's allowed to charge you (to make things a bit fairer). Plus I can buy a bag of popcorn and watch.

• 2 months ago

I am not going to get into physics, I am going to tell you how to find out what weapons are legal for hunting deer.

Go to the site of the state agency that issues licenses for hunting. They should have information there on what weapons are "allowed". Also if you go some place where they sell hunting licenses they should have the handbook for the current year on hand.

In my state the legal minimum requirements for a cross bow are 125 lbs. draw weight and a ten inch bolt with a minimum of a 3/4" broad head blade.

Most states are close and based on state law for my state it would not be legal.

• John
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

YES, it should work

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Ah, let's verify your claim. You claim that at 120 feet, the arrow will drop 1/6 of a foot (2 inches). To drop h = 1/6 ft the arrow must be in the air T = sqrt(2h/g) = sqrt(2/(6*32.2)) = .1 sec. So the horizontal speed Ux = Sx/T = 120/.1 = 1200 feet/second. That's about the nominal speed of sound which is around 1125 fps.

But here's the rub. Arrows off a compound or cross-bow don't come even close to that speed. "Determining The REAL Speed (FPS) Of a Compound Bowbestcompoundbowsource.com › whats-bows-real-speed

Is your compound bow advertised as having 320 FPS IBO speed? ... A bow advertised as delivering 320 FPS will shoot an arrow with a velocity of 320 feet per ... will likely only achieve ~255 FPS from a compound bow rated at 320 IBO speed" These speeds are comparable for crossbows as well. [See source.]

In other words about 1/4 the speed of sound. So that arrow will be in the arrow .47 of a second, not .1 to cross 120 feet. And that means it'll drop at h = 1/2 gT^2 = 16.1*.47^2 = 3.6 inches rather than 2.0 inches.

So don't count on a 2 inch drop. Also you need to consider penetrability. What I just did discounted air drag on the arrow.

In fact there will be significant air drag as drag varies with the square of the speed. That is in large part why that 320 fps arrow actually flies on average at 255 fps in the horizontal direction. And beware the slowest part of that average will be just before impact on the deer.

So here's the issue, will that arrow have sufficient momentum when it strikes your target to actually penetrate its tough hide? I think you best read the cited source below.

Source(s): Crossbows shoot arrows at speeds very similar to that of a compound crossbow; typically between 300 and 400 feet per second. That is a far cry from the 2000+ feet per second typically seen with a deer rifle. With slower speeds come more arrow drop. [ How far can you shoot a deer with a crossbow? - A1 Archerywww.a1archery.com › blog › blogpost › title=how-far-can-you-shoot-a-...]
  • Adam D
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You'll have a pretty tough time carrying around a 100 lb crossbow in the woods.  Something that heavy will make it hard to stalk within 40 yards of a deer.

• BOBBER
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

You should be able to so it.easily

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.