promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Georgia Peach asked in SportsCycling · 2 months ago

I have a mans bike and the bar is to high and have to lay the bike down to get my leg over it.  can the bar be removed and lowered?

10 Answers

Relevance
  • 1 month ago

Anything is possible if you're willing to spend enough money. It is cheaper and will give better results to buy a smaller frame.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Take it to a shop and ask

• pmt853
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, no this would be an expensive and foolish thing to do. Sell the bike and get one that fits you.

• 2 months ago

To high or TOO high?  TOO lazy TO type the 'O' times TWO? 🤔  And which 'bar' are you referencing?  The handlebar?  Or what's called the 'top tube'?  The top tube (which runs from the steer tube backwards to the seat-post tube) is an integral part of the bike's frame supplying strength & support. 💪  And no, it can't be lowered.  

Only one thing to do if a bike is the wrong frame size.  Get a different bike!  One with a frame size suited to your own particular height & arm reach.       

Attachment image
  • How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Maybe. But you can't just remove it. That bar is a strength member; it keeps the bike from collapsing under the weight of the biker. My point, if you do remove it, you need to replace it with something else that will beef up the strength of the bike between the front and back wheels.

Were I you, I'd take your bike into a legitimate bike shop that does repairs and such and get their opinion. Don't try to do it yourself.

• 2 months ago

maybe a mechanic can fix it for you

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i would take it to a bike place and see if they can fix it

• David
    Lv 6
    2 months ago

If you simply cut the top tube out, the frame will be too weak and simply fold under you.

Reworking a diamond frame into a step-thru frame is possible, but takes skill, tools or a disproportionately large amount of money.

Better then to sell the bicycle and buy one with a step-thru frame instead.

Try learning to swing your leg back-and-over.

There’s probably a youtube video or two on how to mount a bicycle.

• 2 months ago

The bar is part of the frame, it is the solid part of the bike. It can't really be modified. You could put smaller wheels but that adds a whole other host of issues that can get expensive.The best option would be to trade in for a bike more your size. You can often get a good deal on craig's list.

• Mark
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

No, only the seat, unless you know how to weld and have the equipment to do so.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.