promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingParenting · 2 months ago

Why do parents lie to their own children?

My Dad what is a chronic liar.

Update:

Was a chronic liar I meant to type

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

My mom lies all the time. As a kid when I would miss school she couldn't even write the truth on the excuse note and had to make up something more dramatic. She is a shopiholic and often returns things, as a kid she would include me into her lies when she would return things. She had to make dramatic stories then too.

Even now that I'm in my 40s she still lies about things such as planned and booked vacations. She once told us about a family vacation with my aunts, uncles & cousins. My husband even planned to take the week off, we saved money for the trip and so on. When I called my dad to get the time for us to meet up at the hotel he didn't know what I was talking about. I called my sister and learned no such trip was planned. When I asked my mom she said "oh I just wanted to see if you would come."

We are now to the point where we don't believe anything she says. Sadly my brother lies too about anything and everything.

Why people do this is beyond me. I was told in therapy years ago it is because they feel their life is boring. I find it childish and stupid. I can't stand lies even "white" ones where someone says something so feelings are not hurt.

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • 2 months ago

Maybe they’re just trying not to hurt you or cause you to feel bad so it’s easier for them to lie they may seeing it as a way to protect you.

• 2 months ago

Gen curses........

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.