Do Americans know all the english words iN the dictionary? ?

I have been studying english, because I'm gonna work in BPO industry where advanced english is required. I have learnt a lot but I find it annoying that everytime I read articles accross the internet, or watch CNN news, I always find, read and hear new englsih words. I take down notes everytime I see or hear new words,  but it just seems endless. Do I really have to memorize them all. I have gotten used to hearing daily english conversation and I felt confident with it. I thought it was adequate, but yeah,  everytime I read articles,  I just cant understand them because there's a lot of new words in them that are unfimiliar to me. Do I really have to memorize all the words in the dictionary? In order for me to be able to communicate? 

• 1 week ago

That's impossible, so no.

By your own admission, English is a second language for you.  You have to accept the fact that your English vocabulary isn't as large as that of a native English-speaker, and just keep trying to enlarge it.

1 week ago

No, but if advanced English is required, it is important to know the very basics, such as capitalizing the names of all languages and being aware that "every time" is two words and "gonna" is not a word at all [it is a slangy representation of how 'going to' is pronounced]. If you find it annoying and endless to learn new words, chances are that you may have picked a goal that you won't be happy with or able to reach. By the way, most Americans don't speak advanced English. Take our "president". Please.

• 1 week ago

Not at all. The top English dictionaries contain between 250,000 and 470,000 words. Even British university graduates are luckily if they even recognize about 40,000 words of those.

• 1 week ago

Most people don't even know half of the words in the dictionary, including me. We just learn as we go and learn what is necessary to communicate.

• KaleyK
    1 week ago

No you don't have to memorize them all.  There might be a super nerd or two that knows every English word.  Most of us use a dictionary (or the internet) to define and learn words we do not know.