Which car is the cheapest to own a Mitsubishi Eclipse, Mazda Miata, Toyota Celica(only the 90s version), or a Toyota MR2 or MR2 Spyder?

I'm just looking for a coupe that isn't a sports car but rather just small and cheap in the long run. I know a Toyota Solara, Honda Civic coupe or Mazda Miata are the general answers but I don't find the solaras or honda civics that appealing so I don't want to hear those suggestions or a mustang because that's heavier on gas than the 4 cylinder cars i mentioned

Hey you guys thanks for all the responses I just realized after doing more research the Honda del all and prelude seem pretty good even though the prelude is premium gas and the del sol is labeled as a civic what are your thoughts on those. Also I realize now from what you all said that Mitsubishi wasn't reliable back then either I just assumed because they were selling well back then and they're japanese also

If you are looking at old cars, please be advised that getting the right parts can be difficult. My friend with a MR2 can not even find the right tires for it. Any Mitsubishi product with age on it will be a nigh mare for keeping running. It hard to find one with a good motor.

If you can be happy with FWD then consider going AWD and get a Subaru forester.

But if you want a great handling car- get a Miata. There is a very large network of suppliers and also restoration parts. Be advised Miata's are highly desirable and therefore not going to be as cheap to purchase.

In all honesty a Corolla is going to be the easiest to find, cheapest to purchase and probably easy to get parts for. One of the most fun cars I owned was a 72 Corolla and I wish I still owned it. While new Corolla's are FWD, they can still be fun to drive. However a Mazda of the same class will be a better handling car.

• Hardeep2 months agoReport

I wonder though Honda Preludes and the 90s Toyota Celica's aren't labeled as sport cars so would their parts be pricey also it's rare but once in awhile i do see them. I like the miata but i wanted to get a similar small car that's diffferent from the miata but it seems that might be the way to go

The cheapest to own would be the Toyota celica as it is based off the toyota corolla platform.

• Hardeep2 months agoReport

Oh I never knew that then that things gotta be bulletproof reliable alright thanks

I would avoid the Mitsu. Any of the others can be good but on such old cars, condition is everything.

Any of those cars in the BEST condition except the Eclipse.

• Rick

Don't get a Mitsubishi !!!!!

I would favor the Miata because it has a front engine rear drive layout that makes it simpler to work on.

If you can afford a newer vintage, check out a Subaru BRZ , Scion FR-S, or Toyota 86.

• Hardeep2 months agoReport

You know i looked into the issues with mid engine cars and now i don't want one ever i think. Miata easier to work on and no mid engine issues ok that's good to know.