Where should I start?

I have been eating meat all my life and I want to try and become a vegetarian because I want to just try something new and I have no idea where to start I move into my apartment soon so that’s the perfect opportunity to go grocery shopping and not buy any meats or anything else I can’t eat 

Any major change in your life, not least your diet, requires some research. Read some books and articles, ideally by professionals rather than relying too heavily on anything people will tell you on here. (Including me!). 

• Mj

Blow it off. Buy high quality bacon from a good meat market.

You want to try something new?? How is that fair on your body. Veganism and vegetarianism are starvation diets. You need meat to survive. I've yet to see a vegan or vegetarian look healthy. I haven't seen it and never will. 

The main source of protein for vegetarians is legumes -- chickpeas, pinto beans, kidney be3ans, navy beans, beans, beans, beans!  But to keep from feeling like you're starving, you'll need to add fat.  So olives, olive oil, etc.

• Janet

The main issue for vegetarians is to make sure you get 50g of protein a day.

Some vegetarians eat seafood.

Any vegetarian can eat eggs and dairy and cheese.

And of course, nuts are not animal-based.

These are all complete proteins, which means that if your body can use all the protein IN that food.

Other complete proteins are:

- Quinoa

- Soy beans, tofu (curd from soy beans)

- Other legumes (lentils, chickpeas, black beans, peanuts/peanut butter, etc) eaten WITH grains (rice, whole wheat products).

So these are the protein sources you will be looking at.

Regardless of how you get your protein, for healthy eating half of every plate should be vegetables, one-quarter protein in some form, and one-quarter some form of complex carbohydrate (brown rice or whole wheat products ... occasionally you can serve a simple starch, such as corn or potatoes instead .. note these are NOT classed as 'vegetables' for the purpose of nutrition).

So start out by putting your veggies on your plate. They set the stage for how much carbs and protein you will eat (each being half as much as your veggies)

• Louis

Going vegetarian isn't rocket science. You might want to include a basic multivitamin on your shopping list. But if you are eating eggs and milk you will probably not need one.

Here is a good vegetarian starter kit that will help a lot

https://www.pcrm.org/good-nutrition/plant-based-di...

you might also check out a vegetarian cookbook out of the library.

There are also some good recipes on line. look some up. 

• Mark

Do you eat meat at EVERY meal, EVERY day?  If not, you have already started.