Ben asked in Food & DrinkVegetarian & Vegan · 2 months ago

Is veganism really healthy/sustainable?

• Megumi

NO/NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Jeff H

Is the vegan diet healthy?  The answer to that is a qualified yes in that unlike the fully omnivorous or vegetarian diet it must be properly supplemented in order to be healthy.  Although some of the requirements are small they are essential to a long and healthy life.  A vegan for example, cannot "live off the land" like the other two dietary practices can.

Is the vegan diet sustainable?  Yes it is however it could end up being more costly than a fully omnivorous diet/vegetarian diet due to environmental conditions (i.e. short or no growing season so many vegan foods, if not all, would have to be imported).  Depending on a variety of factors it could be easily so or extremely difficult.

Another type of sustainability....can the vegan diet sustain life on Earth?  The answer to that is no, not at the current levels of Earth's population and the current agricultural land base.  Based on current available land, and assuming that all available land suitable for the production of crops for human consumption were used, the vegan diet could sustain a population of around 6 billion people according to recent surveys.

Yes, of course, It's healthy. It contains a lot of protein

• Megumi
      1 month agoReport

I read about6 proper diet in various books and magazines. It is moronic to send someone to Mayo Clinic, etc. when he has books and magazines that support the claims of Garrett and Star. 

"Is veganism really healthy/sustainable?"

Yes the strict diet f veganism is healthy for many, but also it's not for everyone. Now as far as the more than the fourty essential nutrients goes, ONLY vitamin B12 must be acquired either via supplementation, or via fortified foods. All of the rest CAN USUALLY BE found and in sufficient quantities to meet the needs of most people.I'm saying this as someone that eats meat.

However the naysayers will claim otherwise, using various articles that SEEMS to support them, that are based partially on science, some pseudo science, myth, and then the opinion of the author, as not only being definitive but also as irrefutable conclusive fact. Now granted some nutrients, such as some of the essential minerals are better absorbed from animal based sources than plant based sources, they are sill bioavailable.

Now as far as the sustainability goes, that's a whole other set of matters, that's far more complex, than most think about. However it is as argued back and forth as was pointed out, in another response. There's far to many factors involved, that's there's no realistic way of listing all of them.

Finally I've over time, come to agree as someone that eats meat, with what a vegan biologist said, that at least a certain percentage of the population will need to continue eating meat. Without a combination of both, then conceivably neither are gong to be sustainable.

• Jeff H
      1 month agoReport

Just a note, vitamin D, the sunshine vitamin, according to a study done by a US Vegan group, requires supplementation as well.  In order to achieve the necessary production of vitamin D through sunshine a person would have to put themselves at risk of skin cancer.

• Daisy

It's not a complete diet. It requires manufactured supplements. Research shows almost 90% of vegetarians add meat back into their diet.....mostly because they aren't getting the nutrients they need to stay healthy.

Research also shows that a vegan diet cannot feed our growing global population on a vegan diet..see link.

• Max1 month agoReport

this girl gets it

It is if you know what you're doing and don't miss out on protein,

• Garrett
      1 month agoReport

I see so many people on here who do not even know how to obtain useful protein

I seriously doubt it. And even if it is, I still won't go vegan. I'm a straight man, and I won't go vegetarian or vegan at all.

• Max1 month agoReport

Meat for life and also people are made to eat meat or else we would have diffrent teeth or we would throw up meat or get sick by meat

I think the biggest issue is fad produce. Quinoa for example rose the price of it by demand, starving out the natives and creating a boom and bust industry, which usually results in alot of abandonment and waste. Oat milk is my latest concern. I promise it will do the same thing.

People tend to think of produce as so pure and nice when in fact it is heavy industry. I've seen things come from all corners of the world such as NZ and Holland just to be thrown away in a ghetto bar in the US. Not to mention how much gas and oil is used to do that shipping. Meat by it's nature is more local. You'll notice different brands dominate different regions because even if you wanted to run a refer truck 6 days from Florida to Canada, the costs in labor and energy wouldn't be worth it. Plus you'd lose 6 days on a 10 day shelf life.

Water use is often cited as more abundant for meat but I wonder if saleable yield compensates at all. I don't have those numbers right now. Especially with organic produce, vegetables are very sensitive. Minor issues like ripening time, infestations, or damage from packing and shipping might drop a yield by half or more. While shrink in animal stock exists too, I'd imagine it's much smaller.

Concerning energy and water use as well as pollution, etc. Many environmental issues fall on the side of meat being more sustainable.

Yes have you ever seen a fat vegan? I did look into it but I love meat too much but whilst shopping I often have a look & IMO vegan food is a lot more expensive

• Wendigo
      1 month agoReport

Boo that's mostly the prepackaged garbage, which is aim more at those of us who aren't vegetarian or vegan.

Jerry I don't know where they live, but steak is a luxury meat for me. I'd take two out of the three foods you listed, and swap the eggplant for some brussel sprouts, or broccoli. 

• JetDoc

Only if supplemented with certain vitamins and minerals that are required for normal health and development in a basic human diet.

• Garrett
      1 month agoReport

And only if vegans know how to obtain usable protein. I see so many here who have no clue about it.