My pot roast recipe requires 4 hours of cooking time for a 5 lb. chuck roast. I have two 2.5 lb. roasts. How do I adjust the cooking time?

• 1 week ago
    Favorite Answer

You don't, at least not by much. The long cooking time is what is needed to tenderize the meat. It will take the same amount of time regardless of the size of the piece of meat. The only difference might be because the larger piece of meat will take a little longer to heat up initially. Times given for things like pot roast are, in any case, not set in stone. They are approximate. If it says four hours, it might really only take 3 and 3/4. Or it might take 4 and 1/4.

• 1 week ago

Use the same time but check it after about 3 hours. If, with a fort, the meat can be pulled apart pretty easily, it's done.

• 1 week ago

I would not shorten the time by very much. Keep it covered in liquid and 4 hours sounds about right.

• Mark
    1 week ago

It's STILL 5 lbs, so you can leave it is-is.  (And even if it was more, you can't "overcook" pot roast - unless you let the liquid drop too low, and then you'd likely burn it.)