promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

How can I clean a penny with out harming it?

Update:

I have a old penny that has so much dirt and other stuff on it I can't read the date on it How can I clean it with out hurting it?

9 Answers

Relevance
  • 3 months ago

Hi.  As a former Plumber, We use to something called "self-cleaning flux" when We soldered pipes together.

It was great at removing scorched areas of pipe, corrosion, & most other things that coat a piece of copper so it could be sealed water-tight again.

Just be sure to wipe only a small amount onto the penny & scrub with a soft cloth to keep the information intact, & wipe it off within 2-3 hours of using it. Maybe even rinse with warm water afterwards, but shouldn't be necessary.

It's designed to be used with high heat (a torch) so possibly a hair dryer might help before scrubbing, in the melted form it dissolves the staining stuff quicker.

G'Luck!!!

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    3 months ago

Ultrasonic cleaner                      

• 3 months ago

The water that gets dirty as cut flowers sit in it often create chemicals that clean copper pennies.

• Zany
    Lv 4
    3 months ago

Before cleaning it you need to look at it with a jewelers loupe, or really good magnifying glass. Cleaning = devaluation.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Andy
    Lv 6
    3 months ago

Buy some copper cleaner at your local grocery store, Walmart, Target, Ace Hardware, etc. I will make the penny bright and shiny and won't harm it.

https://www.bedbathandbeyond.com/store/product/wri...

• Anonymous
    3 months ago

Pen erasure (meaning the blue part of the erasure.) cleans them up quick and fast.

• 3 months ago

Soak it in coca cola for a day or two it's a very mild acid 

• 3 months ago

You will lose any value if you try to clean it. If just for your use try copper cleaner.

• 3 months ago

It depends on what your purpose is.  If you want to keep it as a collector's item or investment, you don't (or take it to a professional).  If you want a nice shiny penny for yourself, there are various solvents that you can use.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.