How can I better handle the stress of single parenting ?

I’m a full time mom and I keep a full time job. My toddler daughter is in a wonderful daycare while I’m working and when I’m home, she gets all of my time. However, I’m feeling weary and I’m feeling stretched too thin. Sometimes when I’ve had a very busy day, I will give her a little melatonin chewable to get her to sleep quicker. I feel terrible about it but sometimes my nerves are fried and I just need a moments peace. Her father lives three hours away and helps with daycare but he isn’t present to help me. Thoughts? 

Favorite Answer

Every single parent does things like that. It's all good, you are doing a great job.

• Glen W

Hopefully you have a close friend with young kids who may be able to help. But if since you have a toddler, I guess your friends are aware of your situation. You may have to ask. Also, your child won't be a toddler for long.

I got in the habit of reading to my kids at bedtime until they fell asleep. Sometimes I fell asleep with them. They are 9 and almost 7 now, and I'm still reading to them at bedtime. This is the happiest part of my day.

Maybe bedtime isn't such a challenge for you, idk. 

Thanks for reaching out. Good luck.

Can you afford a mother's helper maybe once a week or every other week? By mother's helper, I mean a preteen or teen to come to help out while you are at home with your daughter. During this time you could take a short nap, do chores or whatever needs to be done while someone else watches your daughter. I did this as a teenager to help family friends & I really enjoyed it. The mother often took a nap while the father did yard work. I watched their 2 young kids.

Don't feel bad about how you feel because all parents of young kids feel this way even married couples.

Another solution is maybe to talk to a friend who is also a single mom & you two could help each other out. One week you watch their child and the following week they will watch yours. Or do this every two weeks, whatever works best. A friend & I actually did this during the summer once when my first child was a toddler. It gave us a few hours break during the day.