1 year secondment in Canada l?

Hi all,

I work as a valve technician in the uk and several Jobs have come up at my work to go and work in canada for a year. I have a fiancè and a 2 year old daughter who I love very very much. Basically my question is do you think it's ok for me to leave my family? My fiance is fine with it and going to canada will be a big money earner for us. When the year is over I will have plenty of money to put down on a house (we rent at the moment) my partner works part time so I pay for most of the Bills as it is etc so it's hard to save for a deposit on a house. That would be my only reason for going so I could earn the money to pay off a few debts and be able to buy our own house. I would miss them more than anything but do I sacrifice a year of my daughters life so we as a family can get on track and get our own home Or do I carry on renting and paying more out than I would do on a mortgage but be able to be here with my daughter? 

Thanks in advance for your replies 

Updated 6 days ago:

1 year secondment in canada? 

• R L
    6 days ago
    Favorite Answer

You are a good partner and dad...sacrifice one year for a home for your family...good luck and your family will miss you but support you because you are doing it for them.

5 days ago

You do what is best for your family.  You and your wife are the only two people who know what is best for your family.

6 days ago

maybe you can take them with you

• 6 days ago

Could your family go with you?  If you are earning big money, then can you afford to have her not work while you are there.  Your daughter is young enough for it not to affect any education, you could pack up your rental here, so only will have to pay for one accommodation in Canada.  If being married is the clincher, slip off and have a quick wedding without telling family and have a 'proper' wedding when you return.  I would seriously consider going with both and then you won't miss anything.

• James6 days agoReport

Were not allowed to take family but we are allowed a couple of flights home over the year. Without sounding harsh I can deal with leaving my fiancè as long as she's ok with it (which she is) but it's more the year of my daughter's life I would be missing thats playing on my mind 

• 6 days ago

If she is your fiance not your wife of course it is ok for you to go.  When were you planning to get married?  You are not 'a family' until then, you are just shackups.

• If your daughter is important to you (and I totally understand) marry her mother.  Then you will be one legal entity and will make the decision together.  If you do not, you run a high risk of coming back to a collapsed shack-up.  They are fragile, not stable like marriages.