Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceRenting & Real Estate · 6 days ago

Can I ask my landlord for a refund?

My landlord is renovating my bathroom. The bathroom is done now but the Reno lasted 1 week and because of the overwhelming smell, I had to stay with a friend all week. Can I ask my landlord to deduct a week from my rent as a result? 

• 4 days ago

A landlord is not under any obligation to refund a tenant rent or partial rent just for doing repairs or renovations, UNLESS the tenant had to pay rent somewhere else while such repairs were being done. Deducting a week from your rent is not going to happen, most likely. He did you a favor--even though it inconvenienced you a bit. You did not have to leave--there were other ways a bad odor could have been handled. I wouldn't even ask--it could cause bad feelings between the two of you. 

• SimplytheFACTS
      2 days agoReport

not exactly, LL can't charge rent if not habitable, even if tenant stays for free with a friend

• 4 days ago

It appears there is no functioning rule of law in your side of the world, So don't sue or argue with them unless you want them to throw you out.

• 4 days ago

Just ask, maybe he'll say, "Yes" since it was only 1 week. Not all landlords are bad people. 

• 4 days ago

I would ask just to see but it may leave things sour between u two 

• 5 days ago

You can ask.  Chances are you will be told no.

• Judy
    5 days ago

You can ask if you want to. He doesn't have to say yes, and probably won't.

• 5 days ago

Can you ask? Of course. Is there a law that requires the landlord to discount your rent? No.

• 5 days ago

You can ask but he may say you didn't have to stay there, rather you chose to stay there. I doubt it was so bad that he has to give you a refund. It was very nice of him to even do the renovation, maybe you should be praising him rather than asking for refunds, but yes - you can still ask.

• Eva
    5 days ago

You can ask, but I doubt you'll get it. You're lucky it was only a week and you've got a brand new bathroom. Seems like you're asking for a lot when the landlord likely spent thousands of dollars on the renovation.

6 days ago

You can ask for a free house, doesn't mean you are going to get it.