Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelEurope (Continental)Russia · 2 months ago

Does this make sense?

So today someone asked what ethnicity I was, I told them I’m Cuban and Russian( which I am) my dad is from the Cuban island and moved to the us sometime around 1980, and my mom is from Moscow Russia, I just tell everyone I’m Hispanic.

The person tells me I don’t count as Hispanic because I’m only half Cuban. Does that even make sense? I know I can’t be the only one who thinks that sounds ridiculous.

Lets play word games and pretend  I AM this or that. LEARN what the words mean

You are half this and half that ? Really so is the right hand Cuban and left Russian?.

(ethnic group) sharing a common and distinctive culture, religion, language, or the like.

CITIZENSHIP is your Nationality.

You are what you are a blend from your parents, grand parents, great grandparents.......

So what mom is from Moscow. There is more than just Russians in Moscow ethnically speaking.

I just tell everyone I’m....   Some term I decided to use.

The person tells me I don’t count as Hispanic because.. THEIR definition of the word.

Hispanic refers to people who speak Spanish and/or are descended from Spanish-speaking populations.

Notice the word Cuba or Russia are not in the definition.

Up to you if you feel you must give a detailed biographical background of multiple generations whenever asked what ethnicity are you.

MOST are mixed somewhere along their family tree.

To be Hispanic ethnicity you DO NOT have to speak any Spanish.

Just being from Moscow does not make Mom Russian ethnicity about 80%-90% are.

You are ethnically speaking not a purebred you are a mongrel mix.Just the way it is not rare or unusual.

WHY WHY do you complicate a simple thing. Your are a citizen of.... and have Hispanic and Slavic roots in your history if additional detail must be supplied.

You have TWO parents, Four Grandparents eight  great-grandparents. They all count towards your ethnic makeup.Just depends how specific you need the details for what you decide to call yourself ethnically.

• Zirp

Hispanic means that you've been speaking Spanish "from birth". Ethnicity is about language and culture, so don call yourself Russian if you don't speak the language.

Ethnicity is NOT about genetics. It's about the non-genetic things that get passed on mainly from parent to child

Ethnicity is as much about culture as it is about DNA. The person who said that to you is ignorant and should mind their own business. And the responder who said that ethnicity is determined by the father is wrong, too. Plenty of people with African-American mothers and white fathers are also considered black. Obama considered himself mixed. It was mostly his critics who insisted on calling him "black". 

Tell them to mind their own business about your ethnicity. What ethnicity you are is nothing to do with them. If you want to say you are Hispanic then that's your prerogative. It's not their job to agree or disagree with you.

In general, the persons' race or ethnicity is defined by the father. By that definition, you are certainly Hispanic. I don't think the opinion of someone that is so ignorant should be taken seriously by you. As you may know, President Barack Obama had a mother that was Caucasian and a Black father. As a result, he was considered black, which I think proves my point.