Taxes / children?

So im letting my mother claim my son this year . i heard it depends on how much the person makes depends on how much you get back . mom is a personal care aide makes atleast 11/12hr and she keeps him for like 3 /4 days out of the week .and includes overtime & weekends . her checks weekly are atleast 800$ -900$ on a good day and shes been working this job for 4 years now . how much do you guys think she may get back for him ? im worried shes going to try and take advantage of my money but i need her for it because i wasnt able to keep a job and i guess its only right because me and my bd stay with her and she does buy diapers and wipes only those no clothes no shoes and she barely watches him and barely wants to help . & if it depends on how much u make i want her to so i can survive on what we get back please help she still hasnt filed and i just need to know the ropes so i wont get dicked

Updated 6 days ago:

ps son just turned a year january

5 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    6 days ago
    Favorite Answer

If Mom works 40 hours a week at $12/hr she would make $480 per week, so maybe you are looking at paychecks she receives every 2 weeks.  And if she makes $850 every 2 weeks she would make About $22,100 a year with a federal tax liability of about.  Less head of household deduction, $18000, that leaves $4,100 of taxable income at a rate of about 10% or a $410 tax liability, but would have a $2000 tax because of the child, which would eliminate Mom's federal tax liability completely.

If Mom makes $44,000/year as head of household and a $2k child tax credit, her federal tax liability would be around about $926.  Thus depending on how much mom makes, allowing Mom to claim your child wouldn't allow her to claim the full $2000 credit at $22k per year, but would if making $44k.

• Login to reply the answers
  • Eva
    Lv 7
    6 days ago

You can't just give away your child for someone else to claim. There are rules. They are listed in Pub 501. You say she "keeps" him for 3 to 4 days out of the week, and then you say she barely watches him. Which one is it? Is she babysitting him during the day or does he sleep at her house? It makes a difference.

• ...Show all comments
    • opinionated
      Lv 7
      4 days agoReport

no one could figure this out, because you were talking about your child, so, it reads like you are still talking about your child

• Pearl
    Lv 7
    6 days ago

i would call a tax place and ask them about all this

• 6 days ago

in order for her to claim them as a dependent she would have needed to provide over half of their support for the year, and it does not sound like she did. also how much you get back depends on how much you actually paid. not sure how someone who only makes 11 bucks an hour is taking home 900 bucks a week but if that is true she has not likely paid much taxes and has made too much money to qualify for the child tax credit

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 days ago

NOT your decision. See the IRS rules ... irs.gov ; or via a professional if you cannot understand " irs "

• Ocean6 days agoReport

if you was just gonna be a asshole DONT COMMENT

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.