Anonymous

Can you live by yourself in student accommodation?

Dumb question, praise anonymity. I know there are better places to ask this question, and it depends on the university, but I'm just wondering how all this student accommodation stuff works and if you HAVE to have a roommate, or share the kitchen, etc. Can you live in like a terrace house by yourself instead? I know you don't have to leave home to go to uni but.... I live under a rock and never go outside so I'm trying to cling onto the education system before I have to experience the real world full on, although I'm not very good at that either... so the least I could do is 'move out' for uni, but at the same time I don't want to socialise with a bunch of strangers every time I use the kitchen.

I guess what I'm asking is how does student accommodation work and what are my options for that sort of stuff, generally speaking?

• 1 week ago

You're in the UK, right? I don't know about the housing options there, but I'm pretty sure it's going to cost more to live by yourself, whether in university housing or not. That's the point of housing- you save money by sharing with roommates. It can be difficult the first year when you're paired with people you don't know, but the second year, you can choose your roommates and live with friends. Many people enjoy that. I don't know how you're ever going to be married or have a family if you can't share a kitchen. 

• MS
    1 week ago

Well, as you said - it depends completely on the university and what they offer.  The university where I attended graduate school didn't have enough housing available for everyone who wanted it, so there were no single-room options.  The university where I currently work has several housing options that allow a student to have his or her own room, although that will still involve sharing a bathroom and other living space with other students.  You'd likely have to choose off-campus housing if you want all of the living space to yourself.  Single-student apartments aren't very common in university housing facilities.

• 1 week ago

If you can afford a place of your own, you can live in a place of your own - but it generally wouldn't be in university student accommodation.

There are increasing numbers of student blocks, where you may have option of a room with kitchen etc included. As above; less shared facilities = higher cost.

• Tavy
    1 week ago

In the UK you can live where you like as long as you can afford the rent.

• 1 week ago

Sometimes yes, it does happen . I did not have a roommate the first time I lived in a dorm.A friend of mine was in the same dormitory. She did not have a roommate. I moved in mid- term. The bathroom was down the hall.

It really depends on when the dormitory was built nd the policies of the housing department. I requested a type 1 diabetic roommate the first time I had a roommate.

• 1 week ago

There may be universities which have student accommodation that isn't shared. You'll have to check with each university to find out what they have. Of course, no one has to use student accommodation or shared accommodation. You're free to live any place you like, even if you are a student.