Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthMental Health · 2 months ago

Beyond depressed..?

I'm not happy at my job at all..I've been wanting to leave for a while. I'm also going through some other things. I want to quit my job, although, I don't have another one lined up. I feel myself slipping deeper into depression, each day. I know it can take months before solidifying a new job. I'm so unhappy in life, right now, if I wait another few months, I'm afraid I'll be in an even more depressed state. I want to just leave my job, and regain my health and happiness;live off my savings while seeking new employment. I'm just so unsure...Thoughts? Thank you.

Favorite Answer

Listen, we ave all been were you are. Working at jobs or with people who don't inspire you or have any meaning.

You have a couple of options, but two will bring you peace: one is to accept where you are gradually work towards getting another job, or leave the job and try to find another job. Acceptance doesn't mean you don't try to your situation, it means you don't let the situation affect your mind. See if next time you can, you can incorporate more acceptance in your life. Accept the job as it is and you know it and from this point forward don't give it any second negative thought. Put all of your thoughts and energy towards finding another job and if you work hard enough I promise you, things will change. Come to a point in your life, where you happiness does not fluctuate based on your life situation and your job situation. You will work many jobs that are good and many jobs that are bad. But if you let your happiness defined by that, you will always fluctuate. You deserve better.

Beware of destination happiness. The idea that happiness lies in your next partner, career and in your case, a job. Happiness, peace and love is not found in people, situations or circumstances. Rather, they are the THOUGHTS you create when you are with the people, situations and circumstances. You have a CHOICE on how to view your life. What does that mean? It means no matter what situation comes, you have the possibility to always create thoughts of peace, love and happiness. That means even now with your current job. If I showed you people who were homeless and desperate looking for a job, t would make you feel more grateful for your job would it not? What changed? Your thoughts regarding your own situation.

No one knows what the right decision whether to stay or to leave is, but only you. Only you know you the factors involved, career, financial, family, social impacts by staying or leaving. But whatever you decide take full responsibility for it and know that no matter what happens you will survive.

In summary, you have choices available to you, beware of destination happiness and remember you can choose to be happy, in peace right now and work towards a better life situation.

I can only offer you advice. The decision is ultimately yours. I hope you make the right decision for yourself. Wishing you nothing but love, peace and happiness with whatever decision you choose.

Depression is a *****. Mine comes from quitting my job to care for my 56 year old mother who suffers from early onset dementia. I swallow my own pain!!!

• patty

u may need some anti depressants and therapy. stay at your job till u settle down.

Why are you not happy with your job?

i dont know how much is saving you have and worst case scenario what if you run out of saving who will support you before you fine the new job . ask for non paid vacation for few weeks  if you are really need a time off 

When we already have a job, and start applying for new ones, this is when we are most likely to find another job.

I would start seeking out something else now while you're still working. You can arrange interviews after work much of the time, or at your lunch hour, if you can.

Employers would rather hire someone who is already working.

• Alfred

well, with your kind permission, I just humbly ask myself  whether you're  young enough to be my son/ daughter to begin with.

• Andy C

Start searching for a new job, but in AA, there is a saying that "An@$$hole gets on a plane in Boston and an @$$hole deplanes in Seattle."

The geographical cure typically doesn't work and if you are depressed, no new job is going to end that UNLESS 100% of the reasons you are depressed is due to your job (like being a Trump spokesperson).

In all likelihood, you will end up being depressed, possibly with a new job and without any savings.

ECONOMIC STABILITY is the foundation of happiness, meaning happiness is unobtainable if you are insolvent.

You are only going to listen to the words that you want to hear. Cognitive dissonance is not uncommon in a chronically depressed person.

Source(s): Remember what I said.

Yes.  Leave as soon as possible.  Get going.  No job is worth your mental  health. 

It's terrifying to take a step that large, and before you do, seek professional help. Try to find the source of your unhappiness aside from your job, and seriously start lining something up. Put together your resume and job search, and when the time is right you can finally make yourself happy. It is an awful idea, however, to just bail without a backup option. You'll be just as unhappy, only this time with less money. Play it slowly, and you'll be OK.

• Rick B

My thought is that you should start looking for another job instead of just whining about how bad your current job is. Unless you have a huge savings account, I would not recommend quitting your job and living off savings.

Turn your new job search into a hobby.  Make it fun.