Carry permit class ?

Can I just go to the class get my permit and wait until I'm ready to have a gun of my own? I'm scared not ready to buy the gun part yet . 

Most beginner classes and/or CPL classes are designed for people who might not yet own a firearm. They usually include use of a rental gun and a box or two of ammo.

Some classes might be classroom only, in which case you won't need a gun.

Some classes might give you the option - if you bring your own gun and ammo you get a little cheaper price.

But yes you can take the class and get your permit and there is no requirement for you to own a gun before doing either of those.

Yes, you can take the class without owning a firearm.  However, you are required to demonstrate your proficiency with a firearm at a shooting range in order to complete the course.  Many shooting ranges rent firearms for use at the range(you can't leave with the rented firearm). 

It is actually better that way. After safety and carry courses, you will feel better about getting a gun, and no law says you even have to.

>> Someone mentioned demonstrating your skill, now some, not all, courses may supply a weapon for that. Our only gun course is hosted by the sheriff's and NRA and will provide a weapon if needed. the hunter safety part, you do demonstrate skills so rifles are available, optional bring your own.

I used my dads 30-06 for that.

• Herman
      1 month agoReport

Can you read?  I said CCW not HE.    If you would answer while sober you might get it right.

Generally Yes.  You are not required to own a gun to take the course or have concealed handgun permit.  Every state is different and some states may require actual shooting demonstration before getting your permit.  There also might be an exploration date in which you have to retake the class to get the permit.

Many state concealed carry courses are somewhat superficial classroom-only and may not get you comfortable to handle a firearm. I highly recommend that you take a basic pistol course (such as offered by most shooting ranges and usually an NRA-based course) before you purchase a handgun.  These courses (the good ones) often have online, classroom, and hands-on range instruction.   Often these courses will also count as your concealed carry course.

• Herman

Yes you can. I would find out how long the authorities will honor the CCW.

They might be a time limit but I doubt it.  

• Rick B

You can, but that is kind of a waste of money. Why would you have a license to carry if you have nothing to carry?????