Can I hire myself ?

My problem is I'm having a hard time getting potential landlords to rent to me because I don't have a job at this time. But I can more than afford rent, I have over 50k saved. So frustrating. So I've been trying to think of something clever. Since they usually ask to see your last pay stubs or a copy of your taxes I started thinking what if theres a way I can create a company where I could list myself as an employee, then I could pay myself monthly and then I'd have pay stubs from the company I now work for. Would that work?

is it not maybe possible to print a statement of your savings account and produce it as source of income?

• Bort

If you really have $50k why are you renting? You can buy a house with that amount and never have to pay rent.

Offer to pay a full year's rent up front (plus security deposit, etc).

Having $50K saved doesn't protect the landlord.

Sign the lease tomorrow, go to Vegas on Saturday and the landlord may be screwed. 

Possibly. But the company would have to pay taxes and you would have to pay taxes on what the company paid you. This is a more expensive idea than you realize.

• Quentin
      1 month agoReport

That's why Zuckerberg pays himself $1 a year, legal tax avoidance. 
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/One-dollar_salary

Sure - if your 'company' withholds federal, state and Social Security and Medicare tax from your 'pay' each pay period and sends it, with the 'company's' matching portion of those taxes, to the federal and state governments. Do that for a whole year and give yourself a W-2 you can show the employer, because no landlord is going to accept a couple of 'pay' stubs.

You may find a place that will rent to you but if they figure out you lied to them then the lease is voidable. Why don't you tell them you have miney saved up and can pay 6 months rent in advance. That will work, many places.

• Lolly

That is called fraud. What you need to do is find a romm-mate who needs a sublet.

• DEBS

Sure. It'd get you an apartment. Make sure your report all that income to the IRS and pay them accordingly.

If you have $50k saved and good credit and can prove it, you can rent.  Not everywhere but somewhere.