Is it wrong for a man to say a child is cute?

With what the world has become and people making assumptions when a man wants to work in childcare or becomes involved with children in ANY way, is it also considered "creepy" for a man to just say a child is cute? I'm a man and I'm not afraid to say: "That little boy/girl is cute. I can't wait to have kids." With today's society, is it wrong or creepy just for a man to say that?

Updated 6 days ago:

I'm only asking this because nobody bats an eye when a woman says a child is cute. I just love how people make assumptions and think men are "weird" because of tiny things like this. It's so damn stupid.

4 days ago

It wouldn’t be weird for me. It’s kind of disgusting someone would think if a man were to say that he would be creepy for it... everyone is able to think something is “cute.” Something is wrong with someone if they assume it means that because they just created than scenario in their mind it is wrong

• 5 days ago

No, I do not find it "creepy" or inappropriate for a man to say a child is "cute" at all. It is not meant in a creepy way, but it is a term of endearment. It shows a man is fatherly and ready to have children if he says the things that you have quoted. 

I am a mother to two young children and men have told me how adorable / beautiful my children are and I do not bat an eyelid. In fact, it makes me so proud or my children. 

• 6 days ago

Nope, that ain't anything wrong or creepy.  

People can jump to conclusions and make assumptions all they want, and that's their problem to deal with.  But I totally get what you're saying, because those guys (and not always just guys) do exist.  Child predators are the lowest type of scum on the planet, and the problem is they are on the planet.  Some worst nightmares do come true, and some monsters are real.  But that doesn't mean every guy is one of them, even if he does say a child is cute.

I almost jumped to that conclusion myself, and the suspected offender was myself.  My goddaughter walked up to me, sat on my lap and pulled my arms around her.  She'd been doing that since she was a year old, which is nothing unusual or creepy.  But she kept doing it when she was 17, which looked like something very different in the public eye.  When I suggested that maybe we stop sitting together like that, she almost cried and asked why.  When I told her people would get the wrong idea, she said "those people can f**k off" and leaned into my chest.

She explained that when she was really little, my lap with my arms around her was (in her mind) the safest and most protected place in the world.  Her dad was a total absentee loser, and her mom really wasn't much better, so my lap was her go-to safe place when she was growing up.  It was where she felt totally loved and protected no matter what.  When she told me that, I put my arms around her even tighter and told her I loved her.  

The 'moral majority' can get creeped out, they can get outraged and offended all they want.  They can even yell accusations at me, and I won't care.  But just watch how offended those same people will get when my goddaughter (now a 3rd degree Black Belt and MMA competitor) beats them to a quivering pulp. 

6 days ago

It can be creepy and inappropriate to comment on any person's appearance, especially if no conversation has been invited. If the child is a family member, that's one thing. If the child's mother has smiled at you or had some brief and pleasant exchange, that's one thing. If you're stopping or chasing down random families because you just HAVE to tell them how attractive their offspring are, that's something entirely different.

In short, learn to "read the room".

• reme_1
    6 days ago

Regretfully we have had too many people who say that and mean something definitely different.

• 6 days ago

"Cute" does not imply anything sexual, or at least it never did in my experience. If puppies and kittens can be cute, so can children, and there is nothing wrong in saying so. If someone objects to a man calling a child cute, there is something wrong with the objector, not the man.

6 days ago

No, but you know what I can do without? Men whining about people trying to protect children from being raped because it hurt their feelings.

• It's one thing to protect children, it's another thing to make stupid assumptions for the smallest of things. While we're at it, let's stop driving cars because of the high accident rate. Or stop going outside because of the high murder rate.

• 6 days ago

part of our sexist culture. Men can't be loving, emotionally well rounded people who love children.

• it's wrong for a man but not for a woman. men are second class citizens and yet .... ONLY men are required to register for selective service, buzz their heads in the military,and be in combat. proud to be an american .... not. **** this country.

• I'm with you on that. This country sucks. Honestly, this whole world f**king sucks.

6 days ago

Depends on how you say it.  Don’t be weird