Do you still change your oil every 3000mi. when most new cars only require every 10,000 due to technology & Synthetic oil?

• Mr. L.
    7 days ago
    Favorite Answer

If you’re engine is turbo charged, at least every 5k is a good rule of thumb.  IMHO, oil’s cheap, engines are not.  Personally I change every 3k-5k miles and I only use full synthetic.  

• boxtrn7 days agoReport

Great answer. Turbo makes a huge difference. Mine has one too. I use Castrol Xtreme full synthetic as recommended on the oil cap. 

• zipper
    3 days ago

I never change my oil at 3000 miles after the brake in period; I do it between 5 and 7 thousand filter and oil each time. And I do not use synthetic oil at all, cost to much!

• 1 week ago

No need with modern oil every 10,000 miles is normal for most cars.

• My 2002 VW Bora V5 says 15000 klm or 10,000 miles

1 week ago

No I don't.                    

• 1 week ago

5000 because todays engines and oils are just that good. 

• 1 week ago

I follow my owners' manual. It is every 5,000 miles.

• arther
    1 week ago

when ever the book says to change it at I change it at and not before. If you pull the dipstick the day after the oil change on  petrol engine the oil will look dirty. Every 10 thousand k's usually I think im currently about 500ks over and doubt the change will happen this week coming.

• 1 week ago

Change the oil according to the manual for YOUR car. Mine is 20 years old.

• Anon
      1 week agoReport

One of mine is 40.. I have motorcycles from 1968.    Trump Wins! has a 1928 Model A. So What?

• 1 week ago

If you're using regular motor oil change the oil and filter every 3,000 miles. If using synthetic oil every 5,000 miles.

It's very important to keep the oil level topped up so check it every 1,000 miles. Motors with adjustable cam timing will start throwing codes if you don't.

Source(s): Mitsubishi Master Tech
  • 1 week ago

6 to 7K miles with synthetic, anything more is just asking for trouble.