My boss is asking me to do things I don’t know how to so at work?

I work at a printing copy center. They make logos and graphic designs for different prints such as invitations and business cards.

When I was hired for this job I was going to be just a cashier and I was, but he slowly started to give easy stuff to do such as business cards or birthday invitations and now I am able to do those because they’re easy.

But now, he wants me to do this one logo that came in, what the lady wants is beyond my capabilities, I do not know that much about graphic design!! ( I was not required to know about graphic design to work here because I was going to be a cashier!!!) I just know the basics like quick tracing, copy pasting and that kind of stuff (which is not even to be called graphic design)

So, what do I do now? A logo has to be really professionally looking as it is going to represent a company!! 

He is not doing anything right now, been like that for like 2 hours!! So he could do it himself, but he’s just being lazy using his phone and leaving this heavy weight on my shoulders :l idk what to do.

I meant “how to do at work” not “so”

Take a breath, read up on it, and then do your best. If it goes well, you might turn a cashier job into a better career you hadn’t expected, and if not, the very worst that happens is nobody asks you to do it again. There are literal crap tons of graphic design tutorials for every little step of the process on YouTube. Don’t get intimidated, there’s plenty of help. :)

Take the work to him and tell him you don't have the experience to do this sort of thing and that you aren't going to try to. It's beyond your capabilities.

He needs to know where to draw the line with your duties. You were hired as a cashier, not a graphic artist.

Don't over dramatise your situation. You've got some skills and a design portfolio, however limited. The customer's needs match your untrained expertise so the boss asks if you can take on the job. Do it, even if your work is not accepted. In the end, you and your boss will have learned something.

• Tim D

Promotion to a level that is just beyond our competence is a valid model of managing (provided the management realise that is what they are doing).

Do some preparation work to show the direction of your thinking, show it to your boss and discuss it with them.

• LP7

Yeah,right about the graphic design skills.Even if you do have some artistic skill he will expect you to do it at the same pay rate you are getting.He's trying to exploit you and make a few extra dollars.If you tell him now it will save you the stress and no money in his pocket.He will try it again on the next person depending on how desperate they are for the job.Whatever you have learnt you can take it to a better job.Try to leave on good terms for a reference.If not don't let yourself be exploited.You don't have credentials for Graphic Design and he could easily say you didn't do the art work then get rid of you.

It sounds like this is nothing to do with logos. I think your boss wants you to give him a blowie. You might have reservations about doing so: however it will undoubtedly enhance your career greatly if you do. For the sake of a few minutes of unpleasantness I think you should go with your gut and just do it.

• Mercy

He's giving you an opportunity to learn and grow.

Go see him. Tell him you don't know how to do it.

You go to him and you state the obvious....I am not a graphic artist, I was hired as a cashier and this job you are giving me is way over my head!!  What else can you do?  

You're probably far more intelligent than you sound.

• jennifer2 months agoReport

Judging by how fast you answered compared to how long the answer has been posted, you didn’t even ready the question lol