Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsBaseball · 2 months ago

Should Pete Rose be allowed in the Baseball Hall of Fame? His performance was the best.?

Favorite Answer

I can see both sides.

On one hand I agree with Curtisports2 - The HoF is just a museum. If they want to create an exhibit for Pete Rose to honor his historic place in the game, then its no skin off my nose. For that matter they could include Shoeless Joe Jackson and steroid era players like Barry Bonds and Roger Clemens. Maybe they should open a new wing for "controversial, historic players" to acknowledge that these people had a significant place in baseball history without giving them the perceived "honor" of a regular HoF induction. Then again I don't give 2 shits if they never admit any of those people - baseball and the HoF don't owe those guys a damn thing.

On the other hand I have 0 sympathy for Pete Rose. He's a scumbag, always has been, and no matter how much he apologizes or claims to have changed he always will be. Pete Rose is selfish. He played much longer than he should have because he wanted to pad his stats to improve his personal legacy. He bet on the game for personal profit. He lied about betting on the game when the thought it might save his *** then told the truth when he realized he could make money with a book deal. Then he apologized when the thought he might be able to weasel his way back into the league and make money as a manager or marketing figure. He has no place in the game of baseball and it is of no consequence to anyone if a museum refuses to put his fugly face in their building.

I only wish Ichiro had come to the MLB as a 20 year old and had those extra seasons in his prime to fully overtake Scumbag Rose as the Hit King, so that someone deserving of the honor could officially wear that title.

• Coffee Drinker

Wasn't aware of that - but doesn't surprise me. The guy would cheat his own mother if he thought he could make a buck

He was amazing so yes. That’s what it should be about and he performed well enough to be in it. 

• nappa

Yes his HOf days were when he played, should not effect his status there, leave him out as a manager I can accept but not his playing days,,they had not better allow the rest of the cheater group that use Ped's,, Arod for sure he is their darling boy..he's a cheater for sure, acts like he is so innocent.

• David

You can't separate Pete the player from Pete the manager.  In fact, Pete the manager inserted Pete the player into the lineup 262 times when he was no longer productive so that he could pass Cobb.  And Pete the player was a jerk long before Pete the manager.

• BOOM

He didn't break any rules as a player and he would enter the Hall as a player, so I think he should be allowed in. However, he shouldn't be allowed to work in MLB ever again.

• David

His performance was Hall-worthy, but his conduct was disqualifying. And he knew it was disqualifying before he played his first game.

Rose is, was, and will always be a major league douche. That in and of itself isn't enough to keep him out of the HoF but betting a baseball games is.

Check out MLB Rule 21.d.2: " Any player, umpire, or Club or League official or employee, who shall bet any sum whatsoever upon any baseball game in connection with which the bettor has a duty to perform, shall be declared permanently ineligible. "

It's there in black and white. Rose should have read the rule, or at least had someone read it to him.

F*ck Pete F*ckin' Rose.

• 2 months agoReport

Agree Pete is part of history.

I understand that my opinion on this subject will be unpopular with many, but I'm not afraid to have unpopular opinions. It's always been my position that the Baseball Hall of Fame is a museum of the game and not an entity of Major League Baseball. MLB has banned him, as it should, from ever participating in the sport as an executive.  But the Hall of Fame is a separate entity and he belongs enshrined as a player. It is not only ridiculous but hypocritical to offer exhibits using the equipment Rose used for the most memorable and historic moments and leave the man out. By the same reasoning, Joe Jackson belongs in Cooperstown as well.

• hubert c

Always have felt same as you. They can put up plaque saying stars not in HOF do to banishment  

He is not eligible. Nor should he be.

I think they should stand firm - make an example out of him.

Betting on games is the worst integrity buster for sports that I can think of.

Of course - if it's all WWE anyway (and I don't think we'll ever know for sure)... that would hypothetically exonerate him.

Sorry I'm such a conspiracy theorist.

• Kathy

No way. He broke the rules.