2005 Neon with failing sentry key?

There’s a red indicator light on my dash for the immobilizer system that turns on while I’m driving and causes the engine to momentarily sputter or shut off. I had it happen once a long time ago and but today it happened 3 times in a short drive. I’m just curious how the chip in my key could be going bad? If I get a replacement key, will the problem go away? Or do I need to replace the whole ignition lock?

See the people at Dodge and they will FIX you.

If you have a spare key or a valet key, use it and check if the problem goes away.  If you do not have any, you need a new key.

Try replacing the battery in the fob.  Lock the car.  Open the car with the key.  Put the car in the ignition and turn key to ON.  Do not start.  Wait for the immobilizer light to turn off.  When immobilizer light turns off. turn key to OFF.  Wait 5 minutes.  Turn key to ON,wait for light to turn OFF then start the car.

You can also try removing everything from the key ring except for the car key.  Garage door remotes and gate remotes can sometimes interfere with immobilizer signal.