Anonymous asked in Games & RecreationGambling · 2 months ago

After so many years of watching people win money on game shows, the lottery, contests, etc, and never winning yourself, isn't it depressing?

• Jay P

I can't say I'm depressed regarding people winning on game shows because I've never participated in a game show myself.

As for lotteries, the odds are stacked against the players, I know I'll very likely never win a major prize.  But I have won some contests before such as concert tickets from radio stations, etc.

Not when you consider the odds of winning a big prize is really, really low.

No, because I've been creating my own "luck" along with waiting for luck to fall from the heavens. Don't put all your eggs in one basket, as they say.

Most game shows don't pay out that much money. Its rare for anyone to win more than a few thousand dollars.

The shows that have big prizes like cars or high dollar cash prizes are carefully structured so that the odds of winning the big prizes are very very small.

Gambling and the lotto are losing games and for every big winner there are millions of people losing their hard earned money. Most of the stories of people winning at casinos are just people with selective memories - people who have lost far more than they've ever won, but that one big win stands out in their memory as some glorious time to brag about.

• y

Can't win if you don't play, I don't play becouse I don't win those sort of things. Wife does though, daughter does. My son and I, nope, just the way it works I guess. Nothing to get depressed about though.

Yes, I agree. I'm happy when others win, but always wonder when my turn will be coming to win something substantial, but it never happens.Very depressing.

😄

No.

Hard to believe but I don't envy.

🥴 They got some really weird prizes too. Like furniture and ugly cars?

Give me the money and I'll buy what I want. 😄 All that goes in the landfills and junk yards after 2 years.