Anonymous

Has anyone ever gotten a college degree and couldn’t use it? ?

So currently I’m getting my bachelors degree for criminal justice. I’m afraid that if i invest money or spend so much time on this degree, i get booted out during the background investigation as my background isn’t clean but also not a felony. Should i continue this field? 

• 1 week ago

Yes most arts degrees will never find you a Job and so many Historians don't have Jobs

• 1 week ago

Time to talk to an advisor.  A college degree is not hand tool or device.  it isn't trade school either.  People should and do apply things they learn in college in millions of ways every day throughout their lives.  

That noted, you can make a few phone calls and look online to find out whether or past criminal history will prevent you from being hired in certain jobs related to a criminal justice degree.  If you are unwilling to do that, then it's probably a good idea to look at changing your major to something that will prepare you for a job that doesn't required a clean background check.  

• Laurie
    1 week ago

Sure... especially people who chose poorly. Before choosing a major one should decide what JOB they want, and research the job's employment and salary projections, training requirements, and employment requirements - such as a background check or citizenship.

BEFORE you choose a major.

• 1 week ago

I have a BA in Political Science and both a Master's and doctorate in Public Administration.  However, I entered the job market at the height of the recession, so I never got a public sector job.  I have taught political science and public administration as well as having worked in geopolitical analysis for a private corporation, but never in a government job, which was the point.  No sweet government pension for me, just a sweet university pension.

• 1 week ago

What are you planning to do with your degree? Work as a police officer? Have you checked to see what is required for the job in your area? (I'm sure that information is available online.) As an example, here are some of the jobs being advertised in the Washington, D.C. area where I live: https://www.indeed.com/jobs?q=Police&l=Fairfax%20C...

While they all would like a candidate with a college degree (and some have far more requirements), some of them only require a high school degree.

• Tavy
    1 week ago

It won't lead to a job, the U.K. police force don't want it.

Have you looked at any jobs that require it?

• Robin
    1 week ago

yes as the actual subject is not the main area of importance. What it would prove is that you are disaplined amd can meet deadlines rather than quoting a name or date