promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDecorating & Remodeling · 2 months ago

How do you remodel a kitchen like this to a more open concept?

We are thinking to buy this house but the kitchen is really throwing me off.. what kind of kitchen is this? It’s almost a circle shape and so enclosed and I want to know where I can put an island with a bar and is that even possible? With that load barring post

Attachment image

11 Answers

Relevance
  • I can't see anything circle in the photo but I would change the cabinets to something contemporary white with waterfall counter top, two tone is in fashion now, light upper and dark (teal or blue seafoam) bottom cabinets. Remove the existing bar counter facing the windows and replace with a large island with a wine fridge at the one side of the island and waterfall on the other. Hope the example helps. It's a beautiful house, lots of light. Good luck!

Attachment image
    Source(s): Photo from wayfair
    • Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • C
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

If you think you can work with the space take the FLOORPLANS along with those photos to a kitchen designer for advice.  This kitchen will always have a awkward shape unless you move it into what appears to be a great room, but the flow can certainly be improved, not least by removing the half-height wall and cabinets separating the rest of the tiled zone.  A kitchen planner will probably create distinct activity zones described by kitchen work triangles.  Depending on where the services run it could be quite costly to move them, so if you hate the space, it seems like you don't like the oppressiveness of the lower ceilinged zone, you may want to give it a miss.  It might not be as bad as it looks, but those photos do not inspire me to want to cook in that kitchen.  The layout seems haphazard.

• 2 months ago

The Load Bearing Post holds up the ceiling SO THAT STAYS.  Figure around it.

• Elaine
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

First of all it's an open plan kitchen and from both photos a galley style kitchen.  It appears to have an island or a breakfast bar. Your best bet is to have a couple of  contractors who specialize in kitchens to have a look and give you estimates for the renovation. However we would need more information in order to give you more detailed answers. 

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • John
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Best advice is to move on..................

• 2 months ago

Without a plan view with dimensions and info on what the other parts of the house around the kitchen look like it is very difficult to answer. How much money you are planning on spending is also a big factor. With enough money you can do anything. If you really like the house, I would get a contractor to look at it and make suggestions with ball park estimates. Add about 15 to 20% to the estimates and you will know the approximate costs to do what you want. 

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

Isn't that an island in the first photo?    And it looks like there's place to put a bar although you'd have to redo the countertop to create the overhang. 

That kitchen would drive me NUTS.   I would never, ever buy a home with the kitchen in the middle of the structure like that.   I need windows IN my kitchen, not in the next room/space over.

• y
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

House or condo, makes a difference as to what ones options are.  For anyone to tell you anything, we would have to know the rest of the structure and such, to see exactly what type of options there are and such.

• 2 months ago

That looks pretty modern to me

• 2 months ago

Here’s another angle of photo

Attachment image
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.