I want to adopt a cat. The adoption is asking for landlord info. I've lived there for 3 years with no lease. My roommate at 1 point...?

Brought a cat into my apartment. My landlord got a little po'd but ignored it & never bothered me about it but thats because it was too late. Lol Now im going to have to let him know about it for the application. I wanted to get 1 of my friends to pose as my landlord but what if they ask for personal info like his address or the deed to the house? I'd be screwed. I really want this cat but this landlord is kinda unpleasant & if i snuck her in,i know he would just let it be. What do i do?

23 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 days ago

First, you have to understand and realize why the pet adoption people are even asking for your landlord information in the first place. The reason why they ask, is because they want to make sure that the pets that they adopt out, do indeed have a home. And for them to know that, they need permission from the homeowner to make sure a pet is allowed. In this case the homeowner is your landlord.

All too often people take on the responsibility of a pet when they have no right to do so because pets are not allowed in their home and therefore the pets get displaced, which breaks your adoption contract.

Howsoever, you clearly don't give a crap about any of that because you're just thinking about your own selfish needs, while you plot to bamboozle your landlord. Why don't you just be a good tenant and follow the rules?

• Login to reply the answers
  • 5 days ago

I would go by the book.  You don't want to get a cat and have it get kicked out of the house.

• Bort
    Lv 6
    6 days ago

I think you need to bite the bullet and sacrifice what you want for what you should do and what you should do is not get a pet if the landlord doesn't allow it by their policy. You are under a month-to-month lease if there is no written agreement in the US. There are still laws and you can be evicted within the month-to-month laws if the landlord prohibits pets, or specifically cats.

Landlords that don't allow pets have a good reason for it. Although they may be a prick that might not be the only reason:

- Pets cause damage. Furry animals shed and their fur gets absolutely everywhere. All 4-legged animals have claws that scratch wood and other kinds of flooring. Damage costs the landlord money because they have to fix it. Not allowing pets prevents damage they have to fix which also takes time they can't re-rent the place after someone moves out that had a pet.

- Pets are messy. They don't usually clean up after them selves (neither do some humans and that's enough for a landlord to deal with).

Cats, especially, are NOT clean animals. Anyone who claims they are has never owned a cat. Their spray, urine, and solid waste smells horrible and litter boxes don't help very much. Cat spray and urine oders are nearly impossible to get rid of.

Most likely what the adoption place is going to do is call the number you give them to your landlord and check to insure that it's really a person and that pets are allowed; they're don't want to go thorugh adopting out a pet to have it return because the bonehead rents their home and pets are prohibited.

If your friend is a younger person under 30 years old or looks really young they may be wise to that game. These things are easy to check on for anyone. And you never know they might be very extremely thorough when they check in to people. If you attempt frauding them or having someone forge or fake their name...

....you could be getting yourself in to more trouble than just having a cat where pets are not allowed.

Hopefully you realize the risks and trouble you'd potentially be getting yourself in to aren't worth putting the cat, or yourself through.

• 6 days ago

If you arent even technically a tenant (a squatter perhaps...)

A verbal lease is still a lease.  

Realistically, this wont work out.  The rescue place does not want the LL to get upset and the cat to end up feral...they will verify...

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 6 days ago

Just ask the landlord nicely. Its been allowed once so maybe they'll surprise you and allow it again. 

Having as friend pose as the landlord is a boneheadedly stupid idea. If the landlord or shelter found out, then you'll never be allowed a cat and possibly even told to leave. 

If the landlord flat out won't allow a cat then you need to look for other options - ie do without a pet, or move.

• 7 days ago

They can easily pull property records to get the owners name & info... Just because he allowed one cat doesn't mean he will allow 2- especially since you aren't on the lease.

• 7 days ago

Don't lie to the adoption agency, or risk eviction from your lease.

• 7 days ago

You're not thinking about it in terms of how the adoption agency is: they want to ensure that the cat has a FOREVER HOME, not just a temporary, sneak in, have to give up the cat because of false documents kind of thing. You have no idea how many cats and dogs are given up because people sneak in animals and they always get busted. Not only do they have to give up the animal, but more than half the time, they get evicted to boot for breaking the rules. 

You need to contact your landlord, end of story. If you want this cat bad enough and she allows it, she has to conjure up some kind of documentation that you live there. 

• Anonymous
    7 days ago

You don't get a cat until your landlord says you can have one.

By the way, I worked the adoption desk at a large urban animal shelter for six years.   We knew who the liars were who were giving us their friend's name instead of their landlord's name.   It takes about 30 seconds to verify who the owner of a property is by visiting the county tax assessor's website.

There are three main reasons animals are surrendered to shelters by their owners.  "Landlord won't allow" is one of them.   The shelter WILL NOT adopt to you until you can prove that your cat is allowed where you live. 

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 days agoReport

You over-simplify. It doesn't "take about 30 seconds" to find out who are all of the authorized officers of a corporate or partnership property owner. You can easily get "the name", but not to verify who has the authority to sign letters.

• How the **** do you live somewhere for 3 years with no lease.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      4 days agoReport

"Lease" to many people means "written, long-term rental agreement", but many places don't require that. In the legal sense, "lease" includes any rental agreement, written or oral.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.