Anonymous
Anonymous asked in SportsOutdoor RecreationHunting · 2 months ago

SKS compared to an AR-15, and AK?

• Phil
    4 days ago

I broke my SKS when I was beating my dog with it.

Had I shot the dog with my AR-15 or my AK,  I still would have thrown my SKS in the trash.

The SKS was a cheap rifle, more like the M1 Garand battle rifle.

3 different weapons,,whats to compare.

• Herman
      1 month agoReport

I believe 3 others recognized your stupid answer.  I am/was something you will never be.

For what purpose?

If you own no guns, have little money, have no interest in shooting or hunting but want a gun to stash in the closet 'just in case' - the SKS is a great choice.

If you were sending me into a nasty place with limited supplies - and the rifle would be used defense and offense against an enemy - AK is my choice.

But neither of those two scenarios fit me or my life.  That's why I have one AR for varmints, one for home defense, one for NRA High-power rifle competition, one in 300Blackout for caribou/deer/black bear hunting - and a beat up one to keep on the ATV.  

Try adding details when you ask a 'this vs that' question.  I can assure you if you had added 'for home defense' or 'collecting and investment' or 'new hobby' or  'hunting' my answers would be very different.  

Generally....

The SKS shoots the same round as the AK-47, 7.62x39mm

The SKS is piston gas operated, as is the AK, but the AR is direct impingement.

The SKS has a fixed magazine that can be loaded with individual rounds or with stripper clips.

The basic SKS design is a fixed wooden stock with no pistol grips.

The SKS has a milled receiver, where the AR is forged and most modern AKs are stamped metal.

Except for some chinese models the SKS was never made widely commercially as a sporting firearm for civilians.  Sights are not great and are similar to the AK.Hardest of the three to add any kind of optics.

They are all at least battlefield accurate and fun to shoot.

• John

The AR-15 and the AK-47 are going to be a higher quality rifles overall, and better suited for military applications.  The SKS, however, is not a half-bad rifle for sporting purposes.  It may be an act of God, and it was the one and only time I ever shot one, but these two guys arrived at the rifle range with an SKS and wanted me to take the first shot (I don't think they knew a whole lot about firearms).  Anyway, I fired the rifle at a target posted 100 yards away and the bullet went dead center.  I've never had a shot like that since

• BBean

Compare how? To make them all use the same ammo AR would just be a barrel change and bolt face modification. Then all with same ammo go to step II.

SKS has a 10 round box magazine and has to be fitted with adapter for removable magazine.

Any moderately skilled person with a small collection of tools can customize the AR to many configurations...AK`s and SKS`s can`t begin to compare in that field since very special tools are needed...in other words... AK and SKS fans pretty much have to live with what they have or gear up with presses and riveting tools. All three are in need of better triggers and drop in groups are available for all and AR`s are the easiest to change. The AK needs a one time use shepherd`s crook pick to remove hammer and trigger pins. 

Then after everyone has customized the rifle of choice comes the big difference of the myriads of accessories that are available to aid the accuracy of the AR with picatinny rails that every known device can be attached to with ease....The other two?...  an ordeal just to affix a simple scope mount. Then there`s that 922r to consider.

When all three show up at the range for a gentleman`s contest it is pretty much established which one will win.

UPDATE: AK and SKS like are cousins or siblings in some for instances.

AR is more like a transformable robot and kin to nobody...not even kin to itself with a divided receiver that can be altered many ways and still be reversible back to original.

Direct impingement or piston...works fine either way.

Co-dependant being that neither of the receivers will fire without the other although the ATF only recognizes the lower as THE firearm. The complete lower on its own is virtually harmless and even a bad choice for a bludgeon.The upper will at least make a club.

The upper will go either left eject or right eject, however, in the "right handed world" AR chooses the right eject for the majority of uppers manufactured. (How many left eject SKS or AK`s are available?)

AR`s can be easily converted to fire ammo from the near smallest caliber to the largest.(.22 to .50 Beowulf)[resist the demon that whispers Nitro calibers in your ear]

So, a person such as myself that has all 3 of those rifles (and love them all ) could go on a lengthy explanation comparing them while a person that only talks about them or hears about them recognizes them as just 'guns that shoot bullets'.

One is an SKS, one is an AR15 and the other is an AK47. Thanks for playing, have a great day.