promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted

Why does someone who's only 18 have to do one year of work credits and they're set for life?

But some one who's 38 has to do five years of painful labor until they're allowed ssdi? That makes me so angry, especially since I have family who charges me way too much for rent, that makes me so angry?

6 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Because younger people are typically in school. 

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Let me rattle your cage. Your family deserves support for putting up with you. The only reason you're still employed is because your boss feels sorry for you. And, you ungrateful loser, you should pay more rent. Get a second job & give the pay to your mom. Leave the 18 year old alone.

• 2 months ago

You post a lot about this, why don’t you make an appointment to talk to someone at SSA?

• SimplytheFACTS
      Lv 7
      2 months agoReport

don't waste SSAs time, this is a mental health issue.  he can try to discuss it with his US Senator/Congressman, but will just likely get a form letter from an idiotic staffer blowing him off.

• 2 months ago

this has been explained to you repeatedly.

how is sitting at a desk doing paperwork painful? not all jobs are painful labor.  cashiers at dollar tree don't don't much heavy lifting, they may do a little (maybe 5 pounds, 10 max) while stocking, but most items are light.

you need to seek professional help to deal with your perseveration on this.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 2 months ago

Stop being angry about something that is inaccurate. 

Working for one year gets you NOTHING! 18 year olds get NOTHING! Working for a year and a half MAYBE gets you a small benefit, definitely not set for life. The main benefit is that SSDI is less restrictive than SSI - the amount you'd get would likely be about the same. If you think you are medically eligible for SSDI, you'd be medically eligible for SSI.

You do not have to do painful work. There are lots of entry level employment activities that are not painful. Stop bellyaching about this. 

Direct your anger where it belongs - your family and yourself.

You are 38 years old and never worked or worked very little. Why? Incapable of work - than why not apply sooner?  Newly disabled - than why no work history?

Did your parents coddle you and prevent you from being self-sufficient? Why didn't your parent's plan for your future when you were a child? Do you have too much money in the bank to get SSI?  If your sister rents to you, why isn't the rent reasonable?

I have no sympathy for a person who blames the blameless. SSDI and its rules are not the problem you need to be addressing. 

• Judith
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

Actually a person under age 22 must have 1 1/2 yrs worth of credits (6).  6 credits is the minimum needed for survivor benefits to be paid out or for disability benefits to be paid.

And what makes you think they are set for life?  The benefit would be a very low one and there is no guarantee whatsoever that disability benefits will be paid until someone reaches full retirement age (currently age 66).  Once someone reaches full retirement age there is no such thing as a social security disability benefit.

Disability benefits end if a medical review is done and it is determined that a person no longer meets the medical requirements or a person works and is gainfully employed.

If you work you earn 1 work credit in 2020 for every $1410 you earn and pay social security taxes on - just like everyone else.  A person ONLY pays social security taxes on earnings from working either as an employee or self-employed person.  You aren't treated any differently than anyone else.  Social Security taxes aren't paid on any other type of income.

You obviously have a mental disorder and I would imagine that you would be extremely hard to get along with.  Hopefully you see a therapist although, if you do, it doesn't seem to be doing you any good.

I was a SS claims rep for 32 yrs.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.