Anonymous
Anonymous asked in HealthDiseases & ConditionsRespiratory Diseases · 1 month ago

Choking while sleeping.... acid reflux?

Whenever I eat spicy food just before going to bed, I wake up choking due to something coming up (acid?) and blocking my throat. I can't breathe for several seconds until I start coughing.

So does this sound like acid reflux? Is there medicine for it or do I have to just avoid eating spicy food prior to bed?

• PAMELA

There is medication that helps, but the best thing to do is what you have already suggested, do not eat anything at least three hours before you go to bed.Ask your doctor for a long lasting indejestion medication, or ask the drug store!

It could be reflux. Many people with reflux raise the head of their bed by putting something under the top legs of the bed or using extra pillows. Maybe talk with your doc about this if you're concerned.

• Tavy

Of course it is AR, I get it, no one eats spicy food before bed for this reason.

Stop doing it.

Try avoiding spicy food.

If this continues, GO TO THE DOCTOR IMMEDIATELY!