Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Pregnancy & ParentingToddler & Preschooler · 2 months ago

When will my toddler start speaking in basic sentences?

He's almost 2. He does know up to at least 20 words. I know he's not got anything wrong with him because if he did, it would have shown up on the blood test I took before he was born. 

Favorite Answer

Each child is different and they learn at their own pace. Your child will learn basic sentences by 3 most likely. My son is almost 2 and I'm trying my best to get him to learn the right words for stuff.

• Edna

A 2-year-old can't speak in basic sentences (regardless of the number of words he might know) because he doesn't have the vocabulary to do so.

Heck, many of the adults today can't speak in simple sentences or write a compound  sentence; they don't understand noun/verb agreement or verb tenses; they can't spell (they write "noone" instead of "no one" or "loose" instead of "lose"; they use introductory words such as "So" or "Okay" at the beginning of a sentence; and forget about them ever using  punctuation. 

How could you expect a 2 year old who is just beginning to learn to talk to be able to do any better? 

A 7 year old toddler should be plenty old enough for complete sentences. ...

First off, a blood test wouldn't show anything about his actual health, specifically his speech! I'm not sure where you got your information from but its wrong, either that or you didn't bother paying attention to what the doctor was actually saying. To find out if there is anything wrong with a toddlers speech, its usually done by a hearing test, to rule in our out any hearing impairment concerns. Secondly, if there is no hearing problems, the child is referred to a speech specialist to determine if your child has a speech issue, if not then everything is good, if not, then the specialist will work with your child on his/her speech levels.

Secondly, by the time a toddler is 2, they should be able to speak in two word sentences, it can be as young as 18 months, and as late as 3 in some toddlers! Your child is a bit behind in development, but nothing to be overly concerned about at this phase! It could be as simple as he is so busy with whats around him that he forgets to speak, this is a very common issue with toddlers.

I have 4 nieces and nephews (6, 4, 4, 2) and the first three didn't begin to really speak clearly until closer to 3, and my one nephew still struggles with speech a bit, so he's in speech therapy once a week. My youngest niece who is 2, she can speak in one word phrases, but not in sentences, nothing is wrong with her speech, its her brain that is overly-stimulated, but she should be fully speaking by 3.

Good luck.

• Edna
      2 weeks agoReport

A blood test can't detect autism, because autism isn't a illness and it can't show up in a blood rest.

When you stop speaking to your child in "baby talk".

• Suzy Q

'up to at least'?

Oh dear. 

its normal for some children to learn languages much faster than others.just give your child ample time and will soon come top understand all the words.

Talk to him in simple sentences.  Children learn best by example.  (Use correct grammar and correct pronunciations when you talk.  Even if they don't correctly pronounce words right away, hearing it said the right way will help them learn)  Read to the child.  Reading to children is a great way to help develop their language skills.  

Usually, by the age of 3, you should see drastic improvement in language use and forming groups of words.

BTW - those blood tests DO NOT show every possible issue a child could have.  If you have concerns about your child's developmental level, you should always discuss these issues with your child's doctor.  

Maybe teach him? Try to expand on his vocabulary and if he continues to not know how to speak, then go to a doctor.

Who cares? Let the child develop normally.