Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Society & CultureLanguages · 2 weeks ago

Is a second language good for your child?

I tell my children that if they wanna run around the house speaking some chinese or French nonsense, they're welcome to leave my house and leave america. I'm trying to raise my kids to be good American citizens. Am I wrong? 

• 6 days ago

Yes being Bi Lingual is really good for your child's brain connections.  You'd also give them a great option to leave home & country, when they get fed up with your rubbish parenting.

1 week ago

Why stop at two languages (I myself grew up speaking either French or Spanish 

at home, as well as many different languages outside it)? To answer your question

you're completely wrong, especially since Chinese and French are among the two 

most useful languages in the WORLD. I hope your kids resist & become polyglots.

• 1 week ago

Yes, it's good.

Bilingual children are on average more successful at school and later in their working life.When aging, they're less likely to develop Alzheimer's. Unlike American English, Chinese and French are fully structured languages, not nonsense.Your definition of a "good American" is the redneck who doesn't speak any language properly, and who expects the whole planet to understand his bad English?And by the way, English is my 3rd language.

1 week ago

Yes, a second language is good for all children, especially if they learn it from native speakers. It will make them twice as smart as someone who pretends to defend the indefensible.

• Lôn
    1 week ago

So you want them to speak Apache ?

1 week ago

You are wrong and you are promoting ignorance.  The number of languages a person can speak has nothing whatever to do with being a good citizen.  In fact it is a fairly easy argument to make that knowing more than one language makes a person a better citizen.

• Zirp
    1 week ago

Yes it is, yes you are wrong.

Why would you confine children to just one language, and/or cut them off from half of their relatives?

Some things can be expressed far more clearly/precisely in languages other than English

Source(s): Dutch, speaking German, French , English and Esperanto
  • A.J.

It's called a communication skill.

Sounds like bullshit coming from an anonymous poster.

Why would anyone allow children to run inside of a house? My kids do their running OUTSIDE, and if they get thirsty, they drink water from the hose.