Do you think I’m a bad driver because of an accident ?

I’m 21 but I’ve only been driving for around 6 months and already got into my first accident. It wasn’t bad, no one was hurt, it was just that I bumped someone else siding trying to merge, I didn’t see him in my mirror. But anyway does that make me a bad driver. When I got my license I was confident but not anymore. I told my family that I don’t really want to drive and I was thinking taking an Uber to work my brother said I need to relax and that accidents happens that doesn’t make me a bad driver. But he’s never been in an accident and he’s been driving for like 8 years so he doesn’t understand. 

Have you ever been in an accident? And how many?

Tell your brother to go suck an egg. You're suppose to look over your shoulder before chaning lanes. Don't depend upon the mirror. There's a "blind spot". LOOK! Everyone has accidents. Everyone. Just don't do it so often that people start calling you Wreck. Now, go get me a double cheeseburger with fries.

It makes you an *inexperienced* driver, but accidents can happen to anyone, regardless of how long they have been driving for.  All it takes is a split second where you, the other driver, or both are distracted, zone out, etc.

Someone's first wreck usually takes a little while to recover from - it's normal to be a bit freaked out about driving - but you should get back in the saddle as soon as you can - and learn something from it.

Most cars have terrible visibility - and huge blind spots.  You can overcome this with some simple adjustments and accessories.  Watch some youtube videos on how to properly adjust your rear view and side view mirrors - and get some of the little stick on fish-eye lens mirrors.

Even then, make sure you turn and look - and if you can't see, just assume there is someone there until you can verify otherwise.  As you get more experienced, you will get a better feel for it.  It almost seems like I can 'sense' a car getting into my blind spot.

Modern vehicles have sensors and lights on the mirrors to tell you someone is in your blind spots, and some even have cameras - but double-checking is still a good idea.  Just because you know someone is there doesn't mean you know what they are doing.

Good luck - and be safe!!!

Well I honestly don’t think you’re a bad driver. You want just started driving so of course you are not a pro, don’t quit because of an accident. Just be more careful about switching over, I mean things happen but that shouldn’t stop you. If you’re scared maybe take a break but I know eventually you’ll probably want to drive your car again.

And no I’ve never been in an accident. I had one close call where I did almost hit a car in front of me because he did an abrupt stop But I was able to swerve in the next lane just in time this was 3 years ago. I’ll be 24 this July and  I’ve had a drivers license since I was 17 but I didn’t have my own car driving until I was 19, my uncle gave me his old car for my 19th birthday so that is when I really consider myself a daily driver. So that’s about 4-5 years of driving and I’m not exactly a pro either. I wouldn’t quit if I were you. 

• Bort

I don't think you need to quit driving what's more important is you become a safer driver;

- Be more alert. Don't just use your mirrors turn your head and look around. Make sure you can see everywhere around you at all times. A complete 360 view. Mirrors have blind spots they don't see everything.

- Yield when merging. That is the law that most people don't seem to know. If you didn't yield to on-coming traffic that might be where things failed. Not knowing something isn't a failure but it's something that can be worked on so you do know the things you need to. Maybe consider taking a safe driving course to gain some knowledge on some things about driving you don't know. Only driving for 6 months there's no way you know everything. I've been driving for over 25 years class C no accidents and CDL class A for 5 years no accidents. The trick is being safe and the tricks to being safe are:

1. Be alert.

2. Keep a safe distance around you in all directions. If there isn't a safe distance space MAKE it safe. If you can't make it safe by slowing down the safest thing to do is pull off the road and get away from other drivers making it less safe.

3. Don't rely on your mirrors. Mirrors don't see everything. Turn your head, lean forward and back as you turn your head to look around the blind spots every car has. Poke your head out the window if you have to to see what you need to see (which is everything).

Get little convex mirrors to put on your side mirrors ("fisheyes"). They help see the other lane as well as down the side of the vehicle:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/2-x-Blind-Spot-Mirror-3...

Don't quit driving. Become a safer driver.

No matter how safe you are you can always learn something that helps you be even more safe on the road.

You should decide to improve, not decide to quit.

Let cars merge onto the freeway. Merging traffic shouldn't be in your mirror. Who hit who? Look around you when you drive so you know what allow and what you need to avoid. You are not yet a good driver.

• Anton

"The unforeseen does not exist," -- Phileas Fogg.

There are no "accidents."  There are collisions caused by you not watching.

You CANNOT avoid collisions if you are not watching.

Questions:  Have you ever been in an accident? And how many?-- one bad collision, 1965, shortened my sports car, no collision coverage,

it was 18 months before I could get another car.

Question: I didn’t see him in my mirror. But anyway does that make me a bad driver?

-- No.  You were unexperienced.  Did you learn you lesson?

Yes?  You are now experienced.  No?  NOW you are a bad driver.

FYI -- your mirrors can tell you that there is a vehicle behind/beside you.  Your mirrors * CANNOT * tell you there is no one behind/beside you.  You must  turn your head and look.

Comment: When I got my license I was confident but not anymore.

-- GOOD!  Fear keeps you safe.

Comment:   my brother said I need to relax and that accidents happens ...

-- Bullshit.  Look up.  "The unforeseen does not exist,"   There are no "accidents."

You were confident.  You were relaxed.  To avoid collisions you cannot relax.

Driving is a full time job.  You cannot avoid the collision if you are not watching.

Look forward, up to 5 miles ahead.  In city traffic I am watching over a half mile ahead.

Every 5 seconds, scan your mirrors to keep track of the vehicles behind you.

You made a mistake and that resulted in an accident.  That is all.  You should decide to improve, not decide to quit.

That makes you a young driver who is not yet capable of anticipating consequences etc. Young drivers have about three times as many accidents as other drivers.

21 and driving only six months?  I was driving for 5 years at 21.