Whats the difference between drunk and wasted?

I was watching a guy stream on Twitch the other night and I called him wasted and he git pissed off and said he wasn’t and that he was only drunk. I thought those 2 words meant the same thing but by how he responded when I called him wasted, I see now that they obviously don’t mean the same thing.

Well, in GTA5 WASTED MEANS DEAD ._. (Caps lol)

Drunk can mean merry but in some control of your faculties.  Wasted means no control whatsoever.

Alcoholism is NO JOKE, if he got pissed off, he is most likely an alcoholic. I'm an alcoholic, but I can control it to a point. You know, that's what we all say. 

Level of degree. Drunk is all-encompassing, wasted is a level of drunk where you are nearly (or completely) passed out.

• JerryL

it is the same thing

Somehow people have the idea that alcohol is not a drug and if you accused them with a drug term like being wasted they take offense to it to them being wasted means they're on drugs well alcohol is a drug but try to say that to somebody that is drunk and you're liable to start a fight

Wasted is disgustingly embarrassingly recklessly drunk.

Drunk=alcohol has change the way you act, but you can still make basic human interactions.

Wasted=alcohol or other substance made you not able to make basic human interactions. You are passed out.

• Raditz

Wasted is more to "totally passed out because of drunk", while you can still doing things while you drunk, like talking/walking/etc (although you probably won't have any recollections of it).

They mean the same thing to me. Thesaurus.com lists "wasted" as a synonym for "drunk". He just doesn't like being criticized.