Michelle asked in TravelAsia PacificChina · 2 months ago

Coronavirus Thoughts/opinions? I have a trip coming up April 5-19 2020 going to japan, with layovers in Shanghai. ?

I am a US citizen and I have two layovers in Shanghai coming up on April 5th and April 19th, 

do you think I’ll have problems getting in/out of any of the countries (Japan, China, USA)  due to the Coronavirus?

I think it will be dangerous to take such route.

The Coronavirus, itself , will be able to attack you in Shanghai and Tokyo at the time.  You would not be a superman.

• Nicey8

Hi it is better you postpone the trip to Japan. Shanghai has many cases of COVID virus.

Peace and take care.

TOO FAR AHEAD

No one on the planet knows what the virus will be doing NEXT MONTH or the month after that.

Airport temperature screenings DO NOT ask for your passport. Medical officials can hold those they want too and also bar those they do not want to even land for a short exchange of planes.

Will you have problems?  MAYBE

In March the world will know more and so will the Airlines.

A Passport never has provided immunization for viruses.

6.000 cruise ship passengers just thought they had a two week wait to get off ship in Japan.Surprise it has been extended. US Passport holders in this situation are the sick ones.

That's impossible to predict this far in the future. What I can tell you is that Japanese and Chinese airports have had fever detectors for years- ever since the SARS virus. As you walk from the plane to immigration or a transit lounge, you'll see signs saying that your temperature is being monitored, and if you are running a fever, you'll be pulled aside. If there's a problem in the Shanghai airport, the planes will be re-routed. Many airlines have cancelled flights to China for the near future. 

• J

Too early to say, but the problem will unlikely to be under control. There will be isolation measures in place at the layovers, no doubt. Maybe your flights will be changed to alternative countries.