Can I change my first graders who are 6 into booster seats yet?

My daughter weighs 42lbs and is 44 inches tall.

My son weighs 37lbs and is 43 inches tall.

They are both 6 years old and the 5 point harness thing is getting really old. My son can get out, but not in by himself and my daughter cannot get in or out by herself.

Most of my friends have their 5 year olds in boosters already. I know there are height and weight limits and my daughter meets them. My son is 3lbs shy of meeting the weight goal, but I cannot switch one twin without switching the other.

Favorite Answer

You fail to say where you are living? 

If your daughter fits the criteria then she's ready now! Your son should be ready within 6 months, given that it takes that amount of time for a child to put on 3 pounds.

In which country are 6 year olds too young to attend school? That certainly isn't the case in America, where kids start attending school at the age of 5.

I wouldn't.  I keep my kids in boosters until they exceed the seat limit, not based on what my friends are or aren't doing.

• Tri-Harder

Yes I know they meet legal requirements.  That isn't what you asked, nor is it what I referred to in my answer.  Go ahead and switch them, it's your choice.  I don't have to agree with it.

• Tulip

We have no clue what the requirements are in your state

• Mark

The people you should be asking this to are the lawmakers (or the DMV) where you live, which you conveniently didn't mention.

• Tri-Harder

And why did you bother asking if you were just going to attack any answers that you didn't agree with?