promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Cars & TransportationCar MakesChevrolet · 2 months ago

How much will the following car repair cost?

My mechanic charges 60 dollars an hour and needs to replace the evaporator to make my AC work in a 20-year-old Chevy Impala that has no other problems.

8 Answers

Relevance
  • 2 weeks ago

Best car repair from http://modenamotorsportllc.com

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • F
    Lv 6
    1 month ago

This job cost me about £350 (GBP) for a Subaru. However, it depends how accessible the parts are for how long the job will take, so could easily be double that. If it involves a lot of labour, it would be wise to replace all the major parts, or alternatively, drive with the window down.

• arther
    Lv 4
    2 months ago

good luck finding many places interested in doing it.

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

The steering wheel and the dashboard have to be removed and reinstalled.  That is about a 7 to 8 hour job if things go right.  An hour to remove and replace the evaporator and the expansion valve (if the car uses one) and drier.  Another hour to leak check, evacuate and charge the system.  You are looking at a $600 labor charge plus parts and cost of refrigerant and other supplies.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • Anonymous
    2 months ago

Usually I ask them.  There is a book put out for the mechanics on doing certain jobs(time it takes). Those are hard numbers by the car manufacturer.  One shop cannot say an hour and another shop say 2 days. when they give you an estimate on the cost.   Part is going to cost the same in either shop.  An estimate is a "Bid" to get your business.

. Those that "really do not want to do the job at all" will estimate an extra $500.   If you are so silly as to not shop around for other prices, then they will do the job.(an easy $500 just does not lay there on the street)

• Anonymous
    2 months ago

About $340 before it's over they will vacuum the system install new evaporator recommend a new gas dryer and orifice you will be lucky if it costs $340 probably more

• 2 months ago

It probably takes around 8 hours.  So you can do the math.

• 2 months ago

Here's a radical idea, why not ask the mechanic how long he/she thinks the job will take.

Then multiply the number of hours by 60

Add on any new parts you will need

Plus extra for taxes and sundries

That should give you a ballpark figure.

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.