Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Home & GardenDo It Yourself (DIY) · 1 week ago

How can I install a handrail for the stairs if I can’t find any studs in the wall?

The stud finder isn’t finding any studs. I think it’s just laths begins the plaster. 

Update:

*behind, not begins

9 Answers

Relevance
  • Anonymous
    5 days ago

Measure from say a door opening on the same wall and measure in 16" centers to guess where the stud will be. or measure from a corner in 16" centers.  You will be fairly close...if not dead on.  A couple of pokes and you will find the stud.   Patching up the extra wrong holes is an easy fix.  Lathes are nailed onto studs.

There are also other attaching mechanisms.  Ask at HOME DEPOT.  They can help you.

I have run into plaster walls, Under that 1/2" plaster is 1/2" cement and that is smeared onto a wire mesh which is nailed onto the lathe and the 1/2" lathe is nailed onto the studs.  It is a thick, solid wall.

• Login to reply the answers
  • 7 days ago

talk to the guys at home improvement about a different attacking mechanism. they do exist

• Anonymous
    7 days ago

Something must be supporting the laths. Use a metal detector or magnet to find the nails on the lathing and that will tell you where the studs are.

• 1 week ago

You need a better stud finder that will scan through the plaster an lathe. There has to be studs there for sure.

• How do you think about the answers? You can sign in to vote the answer.
  • 1 week ago

Lath and plaster still has studs it has to or the house would fall down , thump the wall with a hammer all along you will know where its solid then knock a nail in you can easily patch mistakes up , 

• 1 week ago

The lath has to be attached to studs. I suspect you may not be using your stud finder properly. They can be tricky to calibrate on a given wall. 

• 1 week ago

There have to be studs. Starting from a corner they are usually 16” apart on center, possibly 24”. The nails in the studs (which is how stud finders work) are often 24” apart beginning from the bottom of the wall. If there truly are no studs or you cannot locate them, you will need to use stair posts to attach the railing securely to the stairs.

• Nuff Sed
      Lv 7
      5 days agoReport

That is not how all studfinders work. They can easily find studs without any nails at all.

• 1 week ago

You know that studs are in there. It is possible to knock gently on an wall and listen for the hollow points as you move horizontally. Then you could drill or cut a hole and use a bent coat hanger wire to feel for the studs. You could also use a small drill and you can feel when it drills through hollow space or when it drills into wood after it goes through the plaster.

• 1 week ago

Find the studs by using a Neodymium magnet to find the nails holding the lathe to the studs. The video below shows how.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JOLRl8aqWFw

Youtube thumbnail

Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.