Why do some jobs ask for GPA and other jobs don't?

Can anyone please explain why?.

No, I am simply asking why companies prefer to ask and others do not.

You really can't stay civil?.

@Anonymous, I do NOT work in any fast food restaurants and I never have worked in any fast food restaurants, and I actually do not work in the service industry at all. I was applying for a data entry job.

Favorite Answer

It's just a preference thing by whomever is making the hiring decision.  Some hiring managers think GPA is important, some don't.  

Personally, I don't put too much weight in someone's GPA.  Success in the academic environment and success in the workplace environment are two different things.  

• Marvin

It is up to the employer. I never get asked my GPA.  In fact, they really do not care what I studied, so long as I have a BS in a technical field.  They only care about my experience.

I think they are asking GPA becuase you are still in school or a recent grad.  Trust me, twenty years from now, they will not care what degree you have so long as it is technology. All they will care is what you did since then.

What on earth does GPA mean? I'm British you see Savannah,;-) Hang on, its a kind of grade point average system. Why do some employers not ask over some that do ask ? It might be because, the kind of job on offer doesn't require a lot of brain work once shown how to do it. 

.

I'm guessing of course. ;-)

• Savannah

You're right and GPA stands for ''Grade Point Average''.

• Alex

The ones who do view high GPA as a sign of a hard worker.  They're goal is to weed out people who they think are lazy.

You really can't figure that out?

• Scott

It matters to some employers, for whatever reason.

Because some employers care about your grades and other's don't.

Are you trying to ask why some employers care about your grades?  They may feel that how hard you worked in school is a reflection of how hard you may work for them.   

• GTB

In my view, the GPA requests are a lot of nonsense and used by people who do not know how to interview. However, people who ask for transcripts often look at attendance and tardy issues because this is a fairly good indicator of work ethic which is a critical skill.