Filing taxes?

What is the best and cheapest way I can file taxes myself or have someone else do it for cheap.. h&r and Jackson Hewitt seem to high

• Frank

You can use the electronic forms provided for free at irs.gov.  This is fine if your taxes are relatively simple.  However, if you have sold and/or rented properties, have a lot of deductions, sold stocks or all of the above, then you may want to get something like TurboTax.

You can file the yourself for free unless you're a complete idiot. It's really not hard. Go to irs.gov/freefile

• Jason2 months agoReport

Everytime I do it myself, I still get more from h&r or Jackson

You can do it yourself on the IRS site for free.

Download the forms from https://www.irs.gov/forms-instructions and get out your pencil.

• Erik

You can do them online yourself, for free.  However, for the last five years I have paid someone to do my taxes, and even though he charges me, he saves me a lot of money in tax.  He's an independent guy though.

Rocco's tax service only charges $20. He's cheap because he doesn't have overhead, no office or phone. Just email him all your tax and credit card information and he'll get back to you in a week. This is my first year using him so I'll let you know how it goes. It's been 6 days so I should hear from him soon.

i would just go to a tax place and have them do it

• John2 months agoReport

That would absolutely NOT be the cheapest method.  Just go to IRS.gov, print out form 1040, print out the instructions, fill it out and mail it in.  It costs nothing but the price of a postage stamp.

• A.J.

1) If taxes are relatively straightforward and income is within guidelines, free file

https://www.irs.gov/filing/free-file-do-your-feder...

2) Software for $50 or less

3) Online not free for $50 or less

4) H+R Block an Jackson Hewitt are cheap for working with a human. Neither is much better than online which they use at the office for you.

Anything better costs more.

Have all W-2, 1099's and credits info ready.