promotion image of download ymail app
Promoted
Anonymous
Anonymous asked in Business & FinanceInsurance · 2 months ago

Should I name my HOA as "additional insured" before renovating my condo?

I am going to have my condo renovated. It's a unit in a building with 30 other units, and all the owners belong to an HOA.

I have homeowner's insurance, my contractor has insurance, and all the sub-contractors he works with have insurance.

I need to submit paperwork to the HOA and they ask that I name them as "additional insured" on my policy.

Is this common? Is this something I should do? They carry insurance on the building so I'm unclear as to the purpose. And of course if I ask the HOA they will say I should.

Update:

This is Interior only, no exterior work.

3 Answers

Relevance
  • Goerge
    Lv 7
    2 months ago
    Favorite Answer

Yes, that's normal, because it sounds like you are also going to be renovating the exterior of your property. Should you stay within the sheet rock(wall to wall and floor to ceiling) the HOA shouldn't be added. Going in the walls touches on plumbing and electrical that is shared. Break one of those pipes and it affects another unit(s) and there will of course be issues which adding the HOA will help to address should the unthinkable take place. 

• 2 months ago

They want to be an additional insured on the contractor's policy most likely...so that if their actions cause a problem...the building has a place to go to resolve.  

Call them back and ask.  There wouldnt be any reason to add the HOA as an AI on your policy just for a renovation.  It may be a requirement in general, but shouldnt be anything extra or new as a result of the renovation.  

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
  • Pearl
    Lv 7
    2 months ago

i would do it if they asked you to

• Commenter avatarLogin to reply the answers
Still have questions? Get your answers by asking now.