Anonymous
Anonymous asked in TravelUnited StatesOther - United States · 2 months ago

When moving to a new state how soon should you start a job search? ?

Looking to starting over I’m a different state ( torn between Ga, Tx, Ca...) but once i settle on a city and state that works for me and my family i want to start the job hunt! The thing is, I’m not sure when to actually start looking. I’m a RN my husband is in Engineering and we have kids so we need a stable foundation for sure! We have money saved just for moving purposes but i want To have a job lined up already when we arrive. So any advice on the time frame and/or different family oriented cities with plenty of opportunities and things to do for the kids! My husband loves LA but i love the putter cities more it’s more affordable to me but i love Dallas & Houston but any experience are welcomed! 

BTW, school systems plays a huge part in this decision 

Forgot to add we’re looking to relocate by Dec. or January 

• Foofa

If schools are your priority you're going to want to avoid L.A. (although some outlying cities like Burbank, Glendale, Pasadena are okay). But you should start your job search as soon as you identify a city where you hope to live. It'll probably take some time to get you both situated in your fields in such a way that you can live in the same house without having hours worth of commuting.

• drip

Be ready to move when the job pops up. You got to have your ducks in a row.   Start packing now.  There is alway stuff that you can live without that can be packed early.   Know how you will get your stuff moved. Once you pick a couple of cities to move to.   Have apartments you would be interested in,  or a real estate agent lined up. Check out schools in the area. Get a pre approved loan.  I would say give it at least 4 months.  Some jobs require multiple interviews that can take weeks to complete. 

My friend moved, she had been sending out applications for almost four months.  She got an interview, lined up appointments to see apartments while there. Got the job, got the apartment and moved and was working within ten days.  You got to be ready to move when ever the job comes.  

With your line a work I would think finding a job may move quickly.  Your husband need tor search jobs in his field. What company I’ve would be best and where they are located. 

Honesty I think you would be a fool to move to LA. Too crowed, too much smog, too much traffic, cost of living WAY too high, poor school districts.  

Taxes in California and cost of living is high. But I would look north to Sacramento. 

I would look at Dallas, Fort Worth and Austin over Houston.  Look at weather, flooding hurricanes.  

In summary, I would recommend starting 3 to 4 months before you plan to start work. It depends a lot on the economy of the city to which you move and the demand for your skills. For the previous reader, I actually recommended a maximum of 2-3 months, since nurses generally have no trouble finding interested employers.

I would start a job search before moving, but you could wait until after you move if you have enough money to pay the bills for six months or more.  It is usually not hard for an RN to find a job.  It might be tougher for an engineer.

start looking and applying before your move so you or both will have a job to go to after the move

• Kenny

With the internet you should start looking before you move and have a job when you get there . An RN is in demand so your husband finding a job first would be convenient .