Why be passionate about piano?

I’ve been playing piano for 8 years and I’m grade 4. I wouldn’t say I ‘enjoy’ playing.

I wouldn’t give it up because I have invested so much time into it and I may as well get to the top just for satisfaction if nothing else. 

But, it would be nice to enjoy it along the way. 

I have lost the spark with it and want to get it back so do you know any reasons why the piano is good and awesome?

I do play a second instrument so anything to do with how instruments are good for you in general is not going to help, I just want to know why the piano specifically is great. 

Thanks.

You can abandon it and come back, right? There should be a point where you should stop forcing yourself imo. Music is passion. I like to follow wherever it takes me. Sometimes nothing happens for us because we need to stop playing music in general.

• Gregg

I learned to play the piano by ear.  The instrument serves me well when I'm bored, have absolutely nothing to do, or to entertain family and friends. 

Would you believe I can play the songs I heard and loved from grade school to the present? And, sometimes  a passage (?) in the song I'm playing would remind me of another song, so I keep playing...

One reason is that it's such a stand-alone instrument. Unlike instruments that play only one note at a time, the piano doesn't need accompaniment.

But you have to love the music you're playing in order to be passionate about the instrument.

By wanting. So, a better question is, how to make yourself want to like the piano more. I think paying attention to the thoughts that you have when disliking, dissecting them and searching for opposite ones afterwards might help. This is because the piano isn't inherently bad, only your idea of it that is, so it comes to reason to explore that.

You have a lot to think, but from your post maybe your practice isn't the most adequate. I don't want to put you down, but it's strange you are on grade four after 8 years. With an honest teacher and dedication, it would be expected for you to be at a higher level than that. Learning why you are progressing so slowly might help you ignite your passion. 

Oh, and music learning is not necessarily about playing difficult pieces, so in a way it's not a problem that you are at this level, but it does indicate that something is going on, and that might be worth checking out. 

I think the acoustic piano is the ultimate instrument.  Every sound that comes out of it is a result of the player's passion and commitment or lack of practice.  I don't think you can get to the top if you are not passionate about it.  I derive pleasure from playing arpeggios and other embellishments even when no one hears me.  I also get pleasure from hearing others who may or may not be better than me.  I don't get much pleasure from hearing someone bang chords on a piano.

Watch Youtube videos on the players creativity. 🥴 I'm actually jealous. I started playing piano by ear when I was a kid. It's how all my elders learned and they turned out to be very talented. But let their talents go to waste. As piano playing was only for church.

When my aunt died who had been playing piano and organ for over 5 decades recently passed, I find myself fascinated more and more by Classical music and pop music done on piano.

• Lisa

I think it is kind of relaxing. I am thinking of learning also.