Finding family members ?

Hi, so my mother passed in 2018 and before she passed she wanted me to find these people that she think was her family but I just never knew how to go about it properly... before she passed I told her I think I found her mother’s information on ancestry because she never knew what day her mother died and I found out ... but because my mother never knew exactly who she was or who her father was I never was able to really dig deep because I don’t have all the resources, but I just want to know answers and find out if my family is really my family , I recently came across my grandmother’s social security number and I just wanna know if there anything I can do with it to find out more information 

• Maxi

"but because my mother never knew exactly who she was or who her father was" So if you are staarting from that point you will find no one, as if she didn't know it is likely she was adopted and that means you have to apply for her adoption records to see if there is any further information in them............ and getting them will depend on the country as some countries it is easy for you to apply and get while in others it is not.

If she was not adopted then all you need to do is get her birth certificate which will name both of her parents

You can write to the SSA to get a copy of her SS application. It will have her maiden name, father's name, mother's maiden name, date and place of birth, address and employer at the time of application. (No employer if she got it as a child.) It costs $29.